Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rory Clark <ro...@clarkzoo.org> on 2008/07/08 03:30:52 UTC

Questions about Subversion...

My work is contemplating a move from CVS to a new source control tool.
Currently on the potential "move to" list is Subversion and Team Foundation
Server, as a few groups already use it. Since I run Subversion at home,
there were a number of questions I was asked that I could not answer.

One of the risks brought up was one person's encounter with database
corruption in the repository. I have not seen this in my installations. Does
anyone have an idea under what conditions, not including hardware
malfunction, that this could cause this? Is there any knowledge about
frequency of occurrences?

Are there any Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 SCC plug in's for Subversion? Do
you have links for them? I have found VisualSVN, TamTamSVN SCC, and AnkhSVN.
Are there any others that you know about?

Branching and merging was brought as an issue. What are the complications
around branching and merging that one should be aware of and how to mitigate
those issues?

Integration of Subversion with LDAP and ActiveDirectory for authentication
of users. I see in the Red-Bean book that system accounts over SSH on
SVNSERVE are supported, but does this apply to ActiveDirectory on Windows
based installations as well? It looks like we would need to run an Apache
web server for this, even on Windows. Is this correct?

Does SVN support the ability to apply policies over directories? For
example, can I limit access to specific directories under the tree to
different groups with different levels reading and writing capabilities? Can
I take it one step further and lock down the tree and prevent commits to it,
like in the situation where we have a release candidate and we don't want
anyone making unapproved check-ins?

Thanks!
Rory

Re: Questions about Subversion...

Posted by Mark K <ma...@mitsein.net>.
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 20:30:52 -0700
"Rory Clark" <ro...@clarkzoo.org> wrote:

> My work is contemplating a move from CVS to a new source control tool.
> Currently on the potential "move to" list is Subversion and Team
> Foundation Server, as a few groups already use it. Since I run
> Subversion at home, there were a number of questions I was asked that
> I could not answer.

Well, obviously SVN is better than CVS.  I don't know much about TFS
other than you have to pay for it and it is from MS.  That's two
strikes against in my book :)

> One of the risks brought up was one person's encounter with database
> corruption in the repository. I have not seen this in my
> installations. Does anyone have an idea under what conditions, not
> including hardware malfunction, that this could cause this? Is there
> any knowledge about frequency of occurrences?

Don't use the db backend, use FSFS :).  I don't think the db backend
has many problems these days, but FSFS is the default.

> Are there any Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 SCC plug in's for
> Subversion? Do you have links for them? I have found VisualSVN,
> TamTamSVN SCC, and AnkhSVN. Are there any others that you know about?

I'm in a Linux shop, so I can't comment.

> Branching and merging was brought as an issue. What are the
> complications around branching and merging that one should be aware
> of and how to mitigate those issues?

Nothing too special I would say.  What do you mean by "brought as an
issue?" The one thing to keep in mind is that svn just knows files.
branches, tags, trunks, and mainlines are just directory names.  Now
that 1.5.x is out with merge tracking built in, one can say that svn
knows a bit about what a branch is.

> Integration of Subversion with LDAP and ActiveDirectory for
> authentication of users. I see in the Red-Bean book that system
> accounts over SSH on SVNSERVE are supported, but does this apply to
> ActiveDirectory on Windows based installations as well? It looks like
> we would need to run an Apache web server for this, even on Windows.
> Is this correct?
System accounts have nothing to do with accessing subversion through
http (DAV) no matter what platform you are on.  I use LDAP auth with
apache on a linux server just fine.  That also happens to match my
system accounts since they auth to LDAP as well.

> Does SVN support the ability to apply policies over directories? For
> example, can I limit access to specific directories under the tree to
> different groups with different levels reading and writing
> capabilities?

Yes.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.pathbasedauthz.html

> Can I take it one step further and lock down the tree
> and prevent commits to it, like in the situation where we have a
> release candidate and we don't want anyone making unapproved
> check-ins?

Yes.  Just set everyone's access to r (read-only) or put in a
pre-commit hook that blocks all commits with a helpful message.

--
Mark K

Re: Questions about Subversion...

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>.
James Coleman wrote:
> [...]
> There are some other ~messy~ things that trip up users with merging.
> I don't think I can cover everything but:
[...]
>    * if dirs are deleted in svn,
>      often users local copy has unversioned files (e.g. left over from testing and building) in
>      dirs, svn up or merge is cautious and will not remove unversioned items so commands can fail
>      and puzzle users.
>      This is also problem for svn switch.
<snip>

Perfectly right: files not "covered" by svn under a working copy prevent
the user to really use the switch and branching (at least pre1.5)
feature... the best practice in that case seems to properly set the
'svn:ignore' properties.
Once all file are either under revision or covered by a 'ignore rule',
then everything works like a charm :-)

regards,

florian

Re: Questions about Subversion...

Posted by James Coleman <ja...@dspsrv.com>.
We (and I) used cvs a good bit in past.
With the move to subversion many things are the same or very similar.
It is a good move I think.

The svn backend/database is better IMHO. I did on occasion see some corruption with cvs but
svn is more solid and access methods are more scalable/easier (usually http).

Merging/branching ... :)
We used branches cautiously on cvs for some things.
After moving to svn we're now mostly using branches for all changes, ... larger distributed
development team. BUT you then also have to make time/resources for more testing and merging.

Best practice for branches for both cvs and svn is to rebranch regularily and merge
regularily also (when you can). That is VERY IMPORTANT! Merging lots of code that has changed
in the same area gets complicated very quickly, even with simple changes. You can get merge editors
that help you with this a little but best practice is to minimize merge conflicts.
I believe some tools (git) can do magical things with merges, but I have no experience with that.

We use branches extensively on large projects and it is a good system.
If we didn't use branches users work would conflict with each other more.
If you can have smaller projects with very tight teams and very good communication you can
work without isolating features on branches. You have to figure out how your company/teams
can work best.  We build all platforms and regression test projects before branch merges to trunk.

With svn 1.5 and merge tracking (and I believe more coming in future?) things should get a bit
easier. We use tools to help us manage branches. To figure out the correct merge commands (what
revision number of last rebranch and currect revision number ....)
We use Trac for bug/ticketing, managing branches and integrated view of svn.

There are some other ~messy~ things that trip up users with merging.
I don't think I can cover everything but:
 * rebranching or merging, if a user does something wrong they can make a bit of a mess
   and need someone that really knows svn and revisions to recover from the mess.
   Some svn error reports or behaviour doesn't help
   * e.g. if user runs a merge command in wrong directory!
     (they might see lots of "skipped" warning messages but think they did the correct thing
   * if dirs are deleted in svn,
     often users local copy has unversioned files (e.g. left over from testing and building) in
     dirs, svn up or merge is cautious and will not remove unversioned items so commands can fail
     and puzzle users.
     This is also problem for svn switch.
   * for large projects users over a slower connection some commands will sometimes timeout/fail
     it is possible to resume svn command but sometimes svn cleanup is needed

One thing lost from cvs is your commit log.
It's not lost really. Commit log messages are still on ticket branch at those old revisions which
you merged.  But on trunk (or parent branch) you only see the merge log message.
Pity because svn blame or svn praise listings are also less useful.

Tagging is different - people seem to not understand it initially and think that cvs has better
tagging. But actually svn has better tagging, every native svn revision number is a tag.
It's easy to have a tags directory.

For users off-site over slow links if you have a large svn repository you have to consider
time taken to checkout or merge or ... You can use svn switch and clean copy of svn to switch from
to make getting a new branch faster. It is better if svn status -u and other commands are fast
so users check carefully what actions they take before running them.

James.

Posted by Kylo Ginsberg <ky...@gmail.com>.
Rory,

Posted by "Mcgee, Mark" <ma...@credit-suisse.com>.
> The raised question was about merging more than about
> branching and the "gotchas" around it. Can you give me any
> insight as to what those might be?
> The person in who raised it didn't go into details.

Merging in SVN doesn't work how most people new to SVN think (I was the
same).  You can merge code between any two revisions of the repository -
remember branches are nothing more than a copy to an arbitrary "branch"
directory (with some ancestry kept if you do the "branch" properly), so
merging between branches or between revision 10 and revision 20 are no
different it's just a "diff" that gets applied to a working copy of the
files somewhere.

Again, the best advice I can give is to read the red bean book.  It
covers any "gotchas", such attempting to re-merge the same changes to
the same code. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04s03.html#svn-ch-4-sect-3.3 - will
be useful for you to read the whole chapter anyway, but this "gotcha" in
particular is described in the "Tracking Merges Manually" section.

My understanding is that SVN v1.5.0 tries to address this problem,
though I have to admit to not being particularly up to date as I use
1.4.6 quite happily and haven't looked to upgrade just yet.

Regards,
Mark

RE: Questions about Subversion...

Posted by "Mcgee, Mark" <ma...@credit-suisse.com>.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 8-Jul-08, at 12:30 AM, Rory Clark wrote:

> My work is contemplating a move from CVS to a new source control
> tool. Currently on the potential "move to" list is Subversion and
> Team Foundation Server, as a few groups already use it. Since I run
> Subversion at home, there were a number of questions I was asked
> that I could not answer.
>
> One of the risks brought up was one person's encounter with
> database corruption in the repository. I have not seen this in my
> installations. Does anyone have an idea under what conditions, not
> including hardware malfunction, that this could cause this? Is
> there any knowledge about frequency of occurrences?

Never seen db corruption in many years of use (fsfs). Posing the
question to the very large (order of 100,000 revs) Svn projects like
Apache, KDE, Subversion codebase itself – etc (going from memory
here) might be interesting.

> Are there any Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 SCC plug in's for
> Subversion? Do you have links for them? I have found VisualSVN,
> TamTamSVN SCC, and AnkhSVN. Are there any others that you know about?
>
> Branching and merging was brought as an issue. What are the
> complications around branching and merging that one should be aware
> of and how to mitigate those issues?

1.5 brings vast improvements here, but I haven't used it yet. I've
done complex merges with 1.4, which only takes concentration and care
but basically works as advertised :-)

> Integration of Subversion with LDAP and ActiveDirectory for
> authentication of users. I see in the Red-Bean book that system
> accounts over SSH on SVNSERVE are supported, but does this apply to
> ActiveDirectory on Windows based installations as well? It looks
> like we would need to run an Apache web server for this, even on
> Windows. Is this correct?
>
> Does SVN support the ability to apply policies over directories?
> For example, can I limit access to specific directories under the
> tree to different groups with different levels reading and writing
> capabilities? Can I take it one step further and lock down the tree
> and prevent commits to it, like in the situation where we have a
> release candidate and we don't want anyone making unapproved check-
> ins?

Absolutely.

--Toby

Posted by Rory Clark <ro...@clarkzoo.org>.
The next logical step in the question about AD users is whether you could
simplify and manage the permissions by using an AD group? So that if you
wanted to add a new user of the repository, you simply add them to the AD
group and they now have access to the directories the group has been granted
access rights to. Does that make sense and is it possible?

Thanks!
Rory

>> Integration of Subversion with LDAP and ActiveDirectory for
>> authentication of users. I see in the Red-Bean book that system
>> accounts over SSH on SVNSERVE are supported, but does this apply to
>> ActiveDirectory on Windows based installations as well? It looks like
>> we would need to run an Apache web server for this, even on Windows. Is
this correct?

> VisualSVN Server 1.5 [1] supports authentication for Active Directory
users.

I think it can be done with any Apache install with the correct modules;
VisualSVN packages it all up and proves a nice admin interface to make it
all much, much easier.

AW: Questions about Subversion...

Posted by "Baeriswyl Kuno - Extern (IT-BA-MV)" <ku...@sbb.ch>.
Hello,

I use svnperms.py for directory access control. It has some advandages comparing to the normal svn authoristation.

Kuno

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Liviu <la...@gmail.com>.
Just to clarify one point...

>> [Rory Clark] >> Integration of Subversion with LDAP and Active
>> Directory for authentication of users. [...] It looks like we would need
>> to run an Apache web server for this, even on Windows. Is this correct?
>
> [Ivan Zhakov] > VisualSVN Server 1.5 [1] supports authentication for
> Active Directory users.

VisualSVN "serves" over http[s]:// (i.e. Apache) only, not over svn://.

Apache (and VisualSVN) aside, AD authentication over svn:// is fabled to
be possible, but still sort of black magic for mere mortals ;-)

Cheers,
Liviu

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Questions about Subversion...
Rory Clark wrote on 7 Jul 2008, 20:30, at least in part:

> One of the risks brought up was one person's encounter with database
> corruption in the repository. I have not seen this in my
> installations. Does anyone have an idea under what conditions, not
> including hardware malfunction, that this could cause this? Is there
> any knowledge about frequency of occurrences?

Repository corruption was one of the major headaches when we
used SVN from ver. 0.27 to 1.0 and one of the reasons to stop
general use at that point.  That said we returned at ver. 1.2 or 1.3
and found a matured product.  We never had a corrupted repository
ever since (not only SVN had matured in the period between, but
also Berkeley had a new version out by then).  We never used
FSFS which I think was SVN's own answer to the database
issues.  We run a small peer-to-peer LAN on Win2K/XP and
version several web projects.  The repository is accessed through
Apache 2.0., GUI client Tortoisesvn.

Jan Hendrik