Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by John Bester <jo...@softco.co.za> on 2022/01/02 05:30:41 UTC

DBFile

The Apache James manual states that it supports 3 types of repositories,
namely db, file and dbfile (as configured in
conf/mailrepositorystore.xml. The only problem is that it never makes
any mention of how you choose which of these protocols to use. The only
way I could get mails to be stored to file is by changing "jpa" to
"maildir" in mailbox.xml, but then headers are not saved to the
database. It does not allow dbfile and there is absolutely no example
anywhere in the source where it shows how "dbfile" protocol can be used.
Can anybody please tell me what to do to use dbfile (I want to use
Postgres as database for headers).

Kind regards
John Bester
Fwd: Ter inligtin

Re: Empty folders

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello John,

No, this do not looks like something known.

We would need more precise descriptions over what happens...

 - What James version are you running?
 - Do you have any ERROR log that could be correlated to the issue?
 - Maybe getting a look at the PG DB content?
 - If a sequence of IMAP commands and their arguments is known it could
help.

I encourage you filling a JIRA ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER

Empty folders

Re: DBFile

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hello John,

The MailDir implementation (which will be retired in 3.7.0 because
unmaintained) stores all the messages on disk.

The JPA implementation stores the whole message in the database (in your
case postgres) within a blob column (pure SQL).

If you are looking for another way to structure the message storage,
this might need to be done via a custom mailbox implementation, which is
not an easy task...

That being said, Postgres proposes nice non-SQL abstractions for binary
storage that, I am sure, performs far better than manual file management
(also requires a dedicated mailbox implementation).

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER