Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jeff Carr <jc...@linuxppc.org> on 1997/04/02 00:50:01 UTC

mod_proxy/297: Allow/Deny proxy module inconsistant behavior

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Wed Apr 02 09:00:00 PST 1997

>Number:         297
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Allow/Deny proxy module inconsistant behavior
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
The Allow and Deny part of the proxy module does not work correctly as far as I
can tell. I have used the syntax as recommended in the docs:

<Directory proxy:*>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 128.104.30.130 128.104.20.10
</Directory>

But, this does not work correctly. It does deny everyone to things like
GET http://www.linux.org/
or
GET http://www.ssc.org/

But allows everyone access to:
GET http://www.linux.org/index.html
or
GET http://www.linux.org/help/index.html

Basically, it lets everyone through if the URL they request doesn't end with /
>How-To-Repeat:
Just setup apache as a proxy and try and limit access.
>Fix:
I tried to dig through the code but no luck yet. This is a big security hole
for anyone running apache as a proxy.

Maybe my <Directory proxy:*> syntax is wrong in the access.conf file%3

Re: mod_proxy/297: Allow/Deny proxy module inconsistant behavior

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Hi Jeff. This *does* work:

<Directory proxy:*>
<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 128.104.30.130 128.104.20.10
</Limit>
</Directory>

--
chuck
Chuck Murcko

Re: mod_proxy/297: Allow/Deny proxy module inconsistant behavior

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
It sure is. I'm working on this for the next beta, due out within a
week.

Thanks for using Apache.

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Hi Jeff. Sorry, this was a typo in the docs. In your case, changing to

<Directory proxy:*>
<Limit>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 128.104.30.130 128.104.20.10
</Limit>
</Directory>

will cause things to work as you expected.