Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by infobus <ch...@epochwellservices.com> on 2007/10/16 18:49:57 UTC

timeToExpire on messages

We are using Activemq 4.1.0 and are experiencing some problems with the
timeTolive  property

We have tried this for a non durable client subscription to a  topic and are
using the onMessage message listener to consume messages asynchronously

We are expecting that if the consumer takes too much time to process the
message on the topic then some of these messages should expire

Below is the scenario

1) timeToLive for message = 10ms(very small)

3) Start up non durable consumer

2) Start up Producer

3) Send 20 messages with a sleep time of 500 ms between sends

4) Consumer  sleep time of 5000 ms after receiving each message

We expect that atleast some of the mesaages on the topic would expire since
the consumer takes so long to consume

However all the 20 messages are consumed by client

Seems like the timeToLive is not being used since messages are not expiring
on the topic. Or are we interpreting this wrong?

We tried the same for a durable client subscription as well and have the
same results