Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2002/07/11 19:44:36 UTC

[SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC] Oracle Driver Performance

Hi,
Has anyone compared the performance of various Oracle JDBC driver
implementations?  Can anyone point me to such a comparison?  Thanks,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Re: [SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC] Oracle Driver Performance

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com>.
There are some blurbs about the pros and cons of the OCI driver versus the
Thin driver.

On Suns, they pretty much suggest you go with the Thin driver, and I've that
in other places (though they may have all been sourced from Sun). The
primary motivation is that there's some overhead in the transition for the
JVM to the native OCI calls. There is also a relationship with multiple
CPUs.

Now, whether these changes are actually NOTICABLE, is a different issue
entirely.

They may be measureable, but not necessarily noticable. Typically when
people complain about performance, they're looking for 75%+ rates of
improvement, and 2-5% bits fall completely off their radar.

However, if you're just starting out, have a driver in each hand and are
wondering if one is "better" than the other, then, technically, the Thin
driver is supposed to be better.

Best Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

Has anyone compared the performance of various Oracle JDBC driver
implementations?  Can anyone point me to such a comparison?  Thanks,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>