Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ron Gabor <ro...@p-cube.com> on 2001/12/11 19:51:47 UTC

JDK 1.1.8 compatibility of Log4j 1.1.3 RollingFilesAppender

Hi,

It seems that the RollingFilesAppender is incompatible with JDK1.1.8. This
is because its BeanInfo class uses a method that doesn't exist in JDK1.1.8
(getBeanInfo(Class, int)).
Is anyone aware of this?
Is it going to be fixed?
Is this mailing list the correct place to discuss/report such matters (I'm
new to log4j)?

The simple solution (more of a work around) I currently have is to remove
the RollingFilesAppenderBeanInfo implementation (its content, leaving an
empty class), and then the standard MBean introspection would be used. This
will prevent the use of setting file size from property files using 100KB
(or any other string) but would leave the option of setting using numeric
value (1000000 for ~100K) valid.

RG

Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility of Log4j 1.1.3 RollingFilesAppender

Posted by Ceki Gulcu <ce...@qos.ch>.
Ron,

At 20:51 11.12.2001 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It seems that the RollingFilesAppender is incompatible with JDK1.1.8. This
>is because its BeanInfo class uses a method that doesn't exist in JDK1.1.8
>(getBeanInfo(Class, int)).
>Is anyone aware of this?

Yes. It is even documented in the log4j FAQ which ships with log4j 1.1.3:

What are the prerequisites for log4j?

- Log4j is JDK 1.1.x compatible.

- Nevertheless, RollingFileAppender requires JDK 1.2 or above. This will be fixed in future releases of log4j. If you need RollingFileAppender to run under JDK 1.1 then you can simply remove RollingFileAppenderBeanInfo.class from log4j.jar.

Unfortunately, the FAQ which is on the jakarta-site does not reflect this information. (It's a documentation bug.)

>Is it going to be fixed?

Yes and no. RollingFileAppenderBeanInfo is no longer needed but log4j 1.2 is likely to require JDK 1.2.

Out of curiosity, how come you are still using JDK 1.1.x? Regards, Ceki