Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/11/04 14:02:57 UTC

Re: Bad AMI?

Actually I think I have seen this recently... Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise)
now has a very long list of security updates that get installed by the
Java 'setup' task and I think Brooklyn may be timing out, especially
if it's a low-power instance. I've switched my brooklyn.properties to
use Ubuntu 14.04 and it seemed to help. I'll get a PR against the
website to update the recommended brooklyn.properties with the new AMI
IDs.

Richard.

Re: Bad AMI?

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Zaid,

thanks for reporting that. After some investigations, I think the problem
is more general than `us-east-1` and should be fixed at
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/612. Notice, the fix has been
applied to `master` and cherry-picked to jclouds-1.8.x and jclouds-1.7.x.
In particular,  jclouds now consider also more recent centos and ubuntu
distro
https://github.com/apache/jclouds/blob/master/compute/src/main/java/org/jclouds/compute/reference/ComputeServiceConstants.java#L89

On the brooklyn side, we need to decide if it's right to prefer for Ubuntu
14.04 over 12.04 and for CentOS 6.6 over 6 [1]
Anyone disagree? Otherwise I'm going to issue a PR to change that.

Best,
Andrea

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/blob/0be9f25a5445f03798df3996eef3e8f5232eac1b/locations/jclouds/src/main/java/brooklyn/location/jclouds/BrooklynImageChooser.java#L114-L115