Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <dh...@csir.co.za> on 2006/01/23 11:15:01 UTC

Simple Page Editor for Cocoon?

Hi

Has anyone thought about, or experimented, with a Simple
Page Editor (SPE) for Cocoon?

I am not looking for a complex CMS solution - just a simple
facility whereby users can edit a page, or upload a new
one?

Each page would have to have:
* unique name
* selection of appropriate "section" (drop down list)
* page title
* page contents
users would be logged in, so it would be useful to add-on to
the end of the page, who was the last to edit and when.

I am assuming a forms/flowscript approach would work...
although data is stored in flatfiles (not beans or a database)

If anyone has implemented such a system, I would like to
hear about it... might also be a good sample app to put
out with Cocoon.

Thanks
Derek

PS No, I do not want a wiki system; I assume the contents
section will have an "toolbar" for users to format the content.

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

HelpDesk@csir.co.za.

and is believed to be clean.

Re: Simple Page Editor for Cocoon?

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone thought about, or experimented, with a Simple
> Page Editor (SPE) for Cocoon?
>
> I am not looking for a complex CMS solution - just a simple
> facility whereby users can edit a page, or upload a new
> one?
>
> Each page would have to have:
> * unique name
> * selection of appropriate "section" (drop down list)
> * page title
> * page contents
> users would be logged in, so it would be useful to add-on to
> the end of the page, who was the last to edit and when.
>
> I am assuming a forms/flowscript approach would work...
> although data is stored in flatfiles (not beans or a database)
>
> If anyone has implemented such a system, I would like to
> hear about it... might also be a good sample app to put
> out with Cocoon.
>
> Thanks
> Derek
>
> PS No, I do not want a wiki system; I assume the contents
> section will have an "toolbar" for users to format the content.

Don't know how "simple" you require, but Lenya
(http://lenya.apache.org/) is a CMS built on Cocoon that does everything
you listed and more.  A barebones system like you described is
definitely possible, but I'm guessing you'll be hard-pressed to find a
developer who wants to spend the time building one when something like
Lenya which already works well exists.

Re: Simple Page Editor for Cocoon?

Posted by Johannes Textor <jc...@gmx.de>.
Hi Derek,

I did something like that, but it think it is still more 'simple' than
you describe:

- no database connection, all you do is edit XHTML fragments which are
stored as flat XML files in a directory
- no title, no section for a page, just the (unique) filename

It is based on the freeware cross-browser text editor "RTE"
(http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm), stripped down to the most
essential functions. Cross-Browser means moz/IE at the moment, since the
others don't support design mode. I use cocoon to "clean" the content
through some additional stylesheets which only let the most basic markup
come through (p,div,a,img,ul/ol/li but no tables/iframes/font etc.)

Additionally, it has an image pool where you can upload images which can
be used in the editor afterwards. That one relies on ImageMagick for
unknown formats though (still works on windows + linux)

If you or someone else is interested in this, I think I can spare the
time this week to put up a wiki page.

Regards,
Johannes