Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "silvio.cesar@unigranrio.edu.br" <si...@unigranrio.edu.br> on 2007/07/16 22:27:43 UTC

About Using memory JVM and Tomcat

Hi!

What the maximum value size to:

-Xms
-Xmx
-ms
-mx
-XX:MaxPermSize

To SUN JVM jdk 1.5.0.11 in the server with 3GB RAM.

Im my case for exemplo:
-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -ms1024m -mx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=400m

To bigger value then 1024m Tomcat crash with message:

Do Any documentation to correct configuration?

Sorry for my english :-(

--
Att,

Silvio Cesar L. dos Santos
Analista de Redes Pleno
DTI - Divisão de Tecnologia da Informação
UNIGRANRIO - Universidade do Grande Rio
+55 21 2672-7720
silviocesar@unigranrio.edu.br
http://www.unigranrio.edu.br

RE: About Using memory JVM and Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

We've covered this topic numerous times - search the archives.  For
example:
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=117866698409904&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=117393923228620&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=116956517623784&w=2

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: About Using memory JVM and Tomcat

Posted by "Asensio, Rodrigo" <ro...@gilbarco.com>.
Also remember that for each thread created on the JVM it will create a thread on the OS.

We had that problem and now our servers are running with 1408 MB of memory but with the IBM JDK 1.5.
Here are some settings

-Xrs
-server
-XX:SurvivorRatio=8
-XX:PermSize=128
-Xmn128m

Initial memory 1408mb
Max memory 1408mb
Trhead stack size 128kb

I don't know about Java 16 yet but these settings are working really good.

 Most 32-bit JVMs can't actually give you 3GB of heap space.
You'll probably be limited to somewhere between 1.5 - 2.0GB. If you have a 64-bit processor and OS, go with a 64-bit JVM and then you can get /lots/ of memory.

On 7/16/07, silvio.cesar@unigranrio.edu.br < silvio.cesar@unigranrio.edu.br>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> What the maximum value size to:
>
> -Xms
> -Xmx
> -ms
> -mx
> -XX:MaxPermSize
>
> To SUN JVM jdk 1.5.0.11 in the server with 3GB RAM.
>
> Im my case for exemplo:
> -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -ms1024m -mx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=400m
>
> To bigger value then 1024m Tomcat crash with message:
>
> Do Any documentation to correct configuration?
>
> Sorry for my english :-(
>
> --
> Att,
>
> Silvio Cesar L. dos Santos
> Analista de Redes Pleno
> DTI - Divisão de Tecnologia da Informação UNIGRANRIO - Universidade do
> Grande Rio
> +55 21 2672-7720
> silviocesar@unigranrio.edu.br
> http://www.unigranrio.edu.br