Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Bradley Scalio <Br...@noaa.gov> on 2011/09/13 14:28:14 UTC

Logging

Greetings,

Trying to turn off logging to /var/log/messages and send qpidd logging
to /var/log/qpidd.log

I tried the following in our qpidd.conf:

sed -i '$a log-to-file=/var/log/qpidd.log' qpidd.conf
sed -i '$a log-to-syslog=no' qpidd.conf

I get logging to /var/log/qpidd.log but I still am receiving duplicates
to /var/log/messages.

I know there are ample log sink options and variations, and have tested
a few to no avail, including syslog-name=qpidd.log

Is there a basic setup to not log to syslog?

thanks

--
Bradley M Scalio, RHCE RHCSS

Principal Engineer w/Honors
AWIPS Mission Assurance
Mission Operations&  Services
Raytheon Company

(o) +301-495-2277
(c) +301-830-0207
(f) +301-713-1950

Re: qpidd SIGHUP Re: Logging

Posted by Siddhesh Poyarekar <sp...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 10:54:16AM -0500, Alex Kulyavtsev wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Alan Conway wrote:
>
> >Not presently, qpidd ignores SIGHUP. Open a JIRA for this, with
> >details of what you want qpidd to do on SIGUP.
>
> Besides switching logs, can it be done qpidd will re-read qpidd.conf
> and acl files to avoid restart when configuration changed?
> Things like log levels in qpidd.conf, or group list definition in acl

You should be able to change log levels by using the 'call' method in
qpid-tool to call the setLogLevel function as follows:

call 25120 setLogLevel debug+

You'll get the first argument (25120) as the output of the 'list
broker' command on qpid-tool console:

qpid: list broker
Object Summary:
    ID     Created   Destroyed  Index
    25120  17:20:40  -          amqp-broker

ACL refresh via qpid-tool is not working currently in 0.12
(not sure about trunk) but you should be able to do it using a tiny
bit of qmf code too.

--
Siddhesh

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: qpidd SIGHUP Re: Logging

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
On 09/16/2011 09:41 AM, Alan Conway wrote:

> In general qpidd is not designed to re-set configuration on the fly.
> Resetting log levels would be straightforward. I'm not sure about ACL.
> Include it in the JIRA and we'll see what can be done.

ACL can be reset on the fly.

place a new ACL file down and call reload acl method from QMF, via a
client to qpid-tool.  status return tells you if applied or ACL had
errors. if ACL has errors then old one stays in force.

Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: qpidd SIGHUP Re: Logging

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

qpidd SIGHUP Re: Logging

Posted by Alex Kulyavtsev <ai...@fnal.gov>.

Re: Logging

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 09/13/2011 09:58 AM, Bradley Scalio wrote:
> Thanks for the great turnaround!
>
> One final question then on logging. With logrotate usually a postrotate sighup
> on the pidfile will cause the process to then write to the new logs, but this
> isn't working either for qpid when running in daemon mode:
>
> compress
> /var/log/qpidd.log {
> missingok
> notifempty
> daily
> rotate 5
> create 0660 awips fxalpha
> postrotate
> /bin/kill -HUP `cat /awips2/qpid/var/run/qpidd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
> true
> endscript
> }
>
> Is there another way to which a sighup can be sent to qpidd to have to write to
> the new logfile?

Not presently, qpidd ignores SIGHUP. Open a JIRA for this, with details of what
you want qpidd to do on SIGUP.

Meantime perhaps you can go via syslog:

# qpidd.conf
log-to-syslog=yes
# syslog.conf
qpidd.*=/var/log/qpidd
# logrotate config for qpidd
            postrotate
                /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Logging

Posted by Bradley Scalio <Br...@noaa.gov>.
Thanks for the great turnaround!

One final question then on logging.  With logrotate usually a postrotate
sighup on the pidfile will cause the process to then write to the new
logs, but this isn't working either for qpid when running in daemon mode:

compress
/var/log/qpidd.log {
         missingok
         notifempty
         daily
         rotate 5
         create 0660 awips fxalpha
         postrotate
             /bin/kill -HUP `cat /awips2/qpid/var/run/qpidd.pid 2>
/dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
         endscript
}

Is there another way to which a sighup can be sent to qpidd to have to
write to the new logfile?

Thanks

Re: Logging

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Re: Logging

Posted by Pavel Moravec <pm...@redhat.com>.
Hello,
I can confirm the below. It occurs when qpidd runs as a daemon:

qpidd --log-to-syslog no --log-to-file /tmp/qpidd.txt -d

causes logs go to syslog, while:

qpidd --log-to-syslog no --log-to-file /tmp/qpidd.txt

doesn't log to syslog.

I think the issue is caused by -d flag overriding log-to-syslog option:

Daemon options:
  -d [ --daemon ]               Run as a daemon. Logs to syslog by default in
                                this mode.

I have already created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3482 for it, I suppose potential fix can be quite easy.

Kind regards,
Pavel Moravec