Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Martin Sterman <ms...@exceloncorp.com> on 2000/08/18 16:57:05 UTC

Uni vs Quad Processor Performance

Just ran some tests using win32 Xalan C on
uniprocessor and quadprocessor NT machines.
This uses a compiled stylesheet to for-each iterate
through varying size documents.

Size         uni            quad
1 KB      15 ms       15 ms
10          30             30
100      312         1578

Subsequent iterations on the quad machine go even slower
(subsequent iterations improve performance on the uni).
Larger documents continue linear performance on the uni
and nonlinear performance on the quad.

Any ideas?  Are there compiler options not set correctly?

RE: Uni vs Quad Processor Performance

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
Martin,

Here's one wild hypothesis, a nasty one:

Is it possible that synchronized{} is very costly on your multiprocessor
box?
It looks like both Xerces and Xalan do quite a bit of it; I'm not
experienced enough in the code to be very reliable, though.

You might want to make a quick test of the cost of synchronized{} on one box
vs. the other, just to see if this is a possibility.

-Ed Staub