Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2001/11/01 05:12:21 UTC

Re: [OT] Microsoft Sets Tolls for .Net Developers

On 10/31/01 1:57 PM, "James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Any plans to do an open source Java implementation of it? :)
>
> Then we could do an open alternative to My Services. 'Open Services' anyone?
> :)

And maybe we could also hijack a top level domain, and put it as part of our
new .COM project...

System and Software Consulting
"He who throws mud only loses ground." - Fat Albert

Re: [OT] Microsoft Sets Tolls for .Net Developers

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Rhys Dixon at rhys@dyxn.net wrote:

> from
> http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=51180&id=20011
> 1020851000104740
> what does this mean?
>
> "The settlement would also require non-Microsoft Internet server software to
> work with Windows on a personal computer just as well as Microsoft servers
> do."

That they can't go away from the HTTP spec, or extend it in any way so that
non-microsoft servers could not talk w/ Explorer... (Well, at that point
they would be screwed, because I don't know how many would give up Apache on
a nice IBM or SUN box to install IIS on an X86)...

    Pier

Re: [OT] Microsoft Sets Tolls for .Net Developers