Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Martynas Jusevicius <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/20 15:38:11 UTC

XSLT-based framework?

Hi,

after getting somewhat familiar with Cocoon, I noticed features like
selectors and JXPath, which resemble XSLT a lot. In fact this
inspiration is even stated in Cocoon documentation.
Then I got an I idea -- would it be possible to build completely XSLT
based framework? I do not mean it that much overblown as Cocoon.
Webapps are based on getting HTTP requests and sending responses. We
could call that a transformation (request to response), and this is
exactly what XSLT deals with. It would take only a tiny layer to
convert a request into XML, and send out the result -- everything in
between could be handled with XSLT (e. g. importing higher-level
stylesheets to do normal XML to XHTML or whatever transformation).
Kind of XSLT-only sitemap.
That should not mean it would be "action-less" -- it could be used
with REST APIs that are based on HTTP methods, and make manipulations
that way (e. g. on some native XML database).
Anyone had similar thoughts?

Martynas Jusevicius

Re: XSLT-based framework?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Martynas Jusevicius wrote:

> Then I got an I idea -- would it be possible to build completely XSLT
> based framework? I do not mean it that much overblown as Cocoon.
> Webapps are based on getting HTTP requests and sending responses. We
> could call that a transformation (request to response), and this is
> exactly what XSLT deals with. It would take only a tiny layer to
> convert a request into XML, and send out the result -- everything in
> between could be handled with XSLT (e. g. importing higher-level
> stylesheets to do normal XML to XHTML or whatever transformation).
> Kind of XSLT-only sitemap.

Something along the lines of XML pipelines and XPL (see [1] and [2] for
details) ?

Regards,

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xml-pipeline-20020228/
[2] http://www.w3.org/Submission/xpl/