Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2010/06/04 16:13:11 UTC

[users@httpd] VirtualHosts warning

# apachectl -S
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
…
Syntax OK

Is this something that needs fixing? I ask because everything appears to work. And how does one fix it. I've read the docs and I have to say I don't understand the issue.

--
'I'm just going to kick some arse dear' 'Oh, good. Just be sure you wrap
up well, then.' --Jingo

Re: [users@httpd] Re: VirtualHosts warning

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM, LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
> On 4-Jun-2010, at 08:20, Tom Evans wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
>>> # apachectl -S
>>> VirtualHost configuration:
>>> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
>>> *:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
>>> …
>>> Syntax OK
>>>

>>> Is this something that needs fixing? I ask because everything appears to work. And how does one fix it. I've read the docs and I have to say I don't understand the issue.
>>>

>> I don't think there is anything to fix there. What did you think was a
>> warning - '*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost'? That is
>> purely information.
>
> No, the line above that. I read:
>
>> With the NameVirtualHost directive you specify the IP address on which the server will receive requests for the name-based virtual hosts. This will usually be the address to which your name-based virtual host names resolve. In cases where a firewall or other proxy receives the requests and forwards them on a different IP address to the server, you must specify the IP address of the physical interface on the machine which will be servicing the requests. If you have multiple name-based hosts on multiple addresses, repeat the directive for each address.
>
> Since this is my home installation, I cannot specify an IP address as my IP changes. Not very often (ever year or so), but it does change.
>
> My initial reading of that paragraph led me to the mistaken conclusion that I was supposed to use an IP address (which is how my 'real' server is configured). Reading further, I see that '*' is specifically listed as allowed.

The line above that is a title :/

The argument to NameVirtualHost is a 'IP/socket glob', ie these are all valid:

somehost.com:80
11.22.33.44:80
*:80
*

Typically, if you are doing 'bog standard' name virtual hosting,
specify your vhosts like so:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName somehost.com
</VirtualHost>

It gets slightly trickier when you want to do SSL, or mixed name
virtual host/non name virtual host, or only serve some vhosts on
requests that come in on a specific interface.

Cheers

Tom

[users@httpd] Re: VirtualHosts warning

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 4-Jun-2010, at 08:20, Tom Evans wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM, LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
>> # apachectl -S
>> VirtualHost configuration:
>> wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
>> *:*                    is a NameVirtualHost
>> …
>> Syntax OK
>>

>> Is this something that needs fixing? I ask because everything appears to work. And how does one fix it. I've read the docs and I have to say I don't understand the issue.
>>

> I don't think there is anything to fix there. What did you think was a
> warning - '*:*                    is a NameVirtualHost'? That is
> purely information.

No, the line above that. I read:

> With the NameVirtualHost directive you specify the IP address on which the server will receive requests for the name-based virtual hosts. This will usually be the address to which your name-based virtual host names resolve. In cases where a firewall or other proxy receives the requests and forwards them on a different IP address to the server, you must specify the IP address of the physical interface on the machine which will be servicing the requests. If you have multiple name-based hosts on multiple addresses, repeat the directive for each address.

Since this is my home installation, I cannot specify an IP address as my IP changes. Not very often (ever year or so), but it does change.

My initial reading of that paragraph led me to the mistaken conclusion that I was supposed to use an IP address (which is how my 'real' server is configured). Reading further, I see that '*' is specifically listed as allowed.

--
THE PRESIDENT DID IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF05

Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHosts warning

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.