Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Readman, Devon" <De...@moh.gov.on.ca> on 2004/01/26 19:05:01 UTC

Way to determine new page?

Hi All,

Has anyone found a way to determine when (similar to an event) a new page is
being 'written'
when creating a document using fop 0.20.5?

I need to output a paragraph of text (0 to 3900 chars) at the top of every
page. I've tried
using <fo:marker> in the <fo:region-before> area but this means that area
must always be sized
to allow the largest amount of text --- and in most cases there is no
text... which leaves quite
a bit of whitespace. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Devon

Re: Way to determine new page?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Readman, Devon wrote:
> Has anyone found a way to determine when (similar to an event) a new page is
> being 'written'
> when creating a document using fop 0.20.5?
>
> I need to output a paragraph of text (0 to 3900 chars) at the top of every
> page. I've tried
> using <fo:marker> in the <fo:region-before> area but this means that area
> must always be sized
> to allow the largest amount of text --- and in most cases there is no
> text... which leaves quite
> a bit of whitespace. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

There is no feed back from the layout engine to stages earlier in
the procecssing pipeline.
If your text is relatively constant, you can check whether repeated
table headers are a solution to your problem. Another approach could
be to make the top text regular content and put the regular content
footnotes. No guarantees.
Finally, it seems a before-float might fit your problem description.
Unfortunately, before-floats are not yet implemented. It's not too
hard to fix this if you can live without footnotes and multi column
layout instead.

J.Pietschmann