Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Patrick Welche <pr...@newn.cam.ac.uk> on 2004/01/14 20:21:08 UTC

apr buildconf & libtool

% sh buildconf
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
Copying libtool helper files ...
cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.

but, if I upgrade my libtool, there will be no file
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
cf libtool/NEWS:

New in 1.5b: 2004-??-??; CVS version 1.5a, Libtool team:
* make install now deletes preexisting $prefix/share/libtool before installing
  latest files.

In other words buildconf's

$libtoolize --copy --automake

ltpath=`dirname $libtoolize`
ltfile=${LIBTOOL_M4-`cd $ltpath/../share/aclocal ; pwd`/libtool.m4}

isn't going to find libtool.m4 to perform the sed to create build/libtool.m4,
unless I work-around using LIBTOOL_M4. I don't know how new AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR
is, but:

* libtoolize installs libtool.m4 (and ltdl.m4 if used) to AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR.

so you know where libtool.m4 will land - why sed the copy?

Standing back for a moment, why is the sed necessary? After buildconf, won't
all the libtool.m4's be the same anyway?

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: apr buildconf & libtool

Posted by Patrick Welche <pr...@newn.cam.ac.uk>.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 02:21:05PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> Ah, sorry, my libtool HEAD wasn't HEADy enough either.  I hadn't spotted
> that the new libtoolize copies libtool.m4 into the cwd,

(or pops it into AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR..)

> that solves the whole "where is libtool.m4" problem for good.

:-)

> Can you try updating to apr HEAD?  The changes I just checked in should
> fix this issue - thanks for reporting it.

It does.

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:46:31PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > As I was trying to say, there is no libtool.m4 in $prefix/share/aclocal
> > (If you really want to know, it is in $prefix/share/libtool/m4, but I
> > didn't want to mention it, because making your search for it uglier

OK, maybe not that ugly..

> > isn't the right plan. I was really looking for comments along why that
> > sed song and dance was actually necessary at all..)
>
> It's needed so that apr_rules.mk gets a LIBTOOL definition which has an
> absolute pathname, since apr_rules.mk is included verbatim by apr-util.
> Without the sed you get:
>
> LIBTOOL=$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool
>
> (try changing the sed to a cp and watch the build break :)

OK, I'll try later.. next is why I have undefined references.. post to follow..

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: apr buildconf & libtool

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 12:46:31PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> Yes. The above was from my November libtool HEAD. I just upgraded now
> to today's libtool HEAD, and
>
> % sh buildconf |& tee buildconf.out
> rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 not found
> ./buildconf failed for apr

Ah, sorry, my libtool HEAD wasn't HEADy enough either.  I hadn't spotted
that the new libtoolize copies libtool.m4 into the cwd, that solves the
whole "where is libtool.m4" problem for good.

Can you try updating to apr HEAD?  The changes I just checked in should
fix this issue - thanks for reporting it.

> As I was trying to say, there is no libtool.m4 in $prefix/share/aclocal
> (If you really want to know, it is in $prefix/share/libtool/m4, but I
> didn't want to mention it, because making your search for it uglier
> isn't the right plan. I was really looking for comments along why that
> sed song and dance was actually necessary at all..)

It's needed so that apr_rules.mk gets a LIBTOOL definition which has an
absolute pathname, since apr_rules.mk is included verbatim by apr-util.
Without the sed you get:

LIBTOOL=$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool

(try changing the sed to a cp and watch the build break :)

joe

Re: apr buildconf & libtool

Posted by Patrick Welche <pr...@newn.cam.ac.uk>.

Re: apr buildconf & libtool

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:21:08PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> % sh buildconf
> rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 1.5a (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> cat: aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
> buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
>
> but, if I upgrade my libtool, there will be no file
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
> cf libtool/NEWS:
>
> New in 1.5b: 2004-??-??; CVS version 1.5a, Libtool team:
> * make install now deletes preexisting $prefix/share/libtool before installing
>   latest files.

libtool.m4 goes in $prefix/share/aclocal not share/libtool, and all this
means is that "make install" does an rm -rf on $prefix/share/libtool
before recreating it with the new files, I presume.  Are you actually
seeing practical problems? I'm using libtool HEAD without problems.

Regards,

joe