Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Theodosios Paschalidis <th...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/16 18:38:46 UTC

(Newbie) Separating Client From Server side errors

Hi all,

in my application I use both the validator for client side validation and server side validation. My problem is that when validation fails, I get the error reported as server side and not in a Javascript fashion.

Additionally when a validation error occurs my reset button does not work.

In my Action I have code like this

           errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
           new ActionError("error.logon.invalid"));
            saveErrors(request,errors);

In my JSP I try to separate those errors like this

<logic:messagesPresent>
<UL>
<logic:iterate id="errors">
<LI><bean:write name="errors"/></LI>
</logic:iterate>
</UL>
</logic:messagesPresent>

But I get this exception

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.util.Hashtable.get(Hashtable.java:333)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.findAttribute(PageContextImpl.java:308)
	at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.lookup(RequestUtils.java:663)
	at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.lookup(RequestUtils.java:710)
	at org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.IterateTag.doStartTag(IterateTag.java:303)

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you for your time,

Theo