Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sk <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/04 09:52:49 UTC

performance calculation with ab tool

Hello all,

I want to calculate how much performance of  Server(apache) has been
increased .So i did as follows.

Using Request per second ,(actually which parameter should i use)
126.53(with squid)- 121.92(without squid)
-------------------------------------------- = 3.7 %
       121.92(without squid)

My Q is , am I correct over here(calculating server performance)  ?

I've attached "ab testresult " below for reference .plz reply asap .I'm
awaiting with more anticipation .

ab testresult:
-------------

WITH Squid :

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.19
Server Hostname:      sample.kovaiteam.com
Server Port:               80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:     1310 bytes

Concurrency Level:      100
Time taken for tests:     7.903 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:            0
Total transferred:         1754000 bytes
HTML transferred:      1310000 bytes
Requests per second:  126.53
 Transfer rate:              221.94 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
                 min       avg   max
Connect:        0     1    21
Processing:    14   548  6410
Total:            14     549  6431

WITHOUT Squid:

Copyright (c) 1998-2000 The Apache Group, http://www.apache.org/

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.19
Server Hostname:        sample.kovaiteam.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        1310 bytes

Concurrency Level:      100
Time taken for tests:   8.202 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      1723000 bytes
HTML transferred:       1310000 bytes
Requests per second:    121.92
Transfer rate:          210.07 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
                   min   avg   max
Connect:        0    14  3000
Processing:    41   766   836
Total:            41   780  3836

Thanks and Regards,
-shanker

Re: performance calculation with ab tool

Posted by Maurice Wahl <m-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

your calculation is correct, but your testbed isn´t. ;-)

ab request a single file a certain number of times with a certain
concurrency. As long as your file is smaller than the main memory of your
server box, your OS will keep the file in DRAM just like squid does, hence
the marginal difference between your measurements.

My approach - yet unfinished - is to start multiple ab instances on several
machines and request different files from the server (concurrency=0). All
files together shall be much bigger than the main memory of the server, in
order to avoid OS internal caching. The problem is always to generate
´correct´ stimuli for the server, but this setup should generate useful
numbers for the performance. Adoptions may be required for measuring squid
performance.

Regards,
Maurice

PS: Are there any suggestions for cheap performance measuring of Apache? I
found webbench from Ziff-Davis and the above mentioned ab. Anything else?