Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Kristina Clair <kc...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/03 22:58:09 UTC

MPM and AcceptMutex questions

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is really the right list for this, but I got no
response from the "users" list, so I'm wondering if some of the
developers might be able to shed some light.  Sorry if it's
inappropriate to mail this list with these questions.

I've been reading a bit about Apache2 performance tuning.  I'm
particularly interested in reducing the memory usage as much as
possible.

I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
real-world experience with this?  Our users are allowed to run any cgi
scripts they want --  could this cause a potential problem with
worker?

Also, I recently encountered a problem with the mutex device - I'm
using the default AcceptMutex setting, which is sysvsem, but it is
leaving semaphores around when httpd is restarted.  It seems like the
two main recommendations for fixing this are to either increase the
max number of semaphores in the kernel or use AcceptMutex fcntl
instead.  Again, has anyone had any experience with this? It's probably
also important to note that the files that apache serves are nfs - does this
give me a disadvantage if I try to use fcntl?  And if I increase the
max semaphores in the kernel - isn't it just a matter of time before
they all get used up too?

Thanks!
Kristina
--
Kristina Clair
Datarealm Internet Services

Re: MPM and AcceptMutex questions

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> Kristina Clair wrote:
> > I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
> > traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
> > worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
> > real-world experience with this?  Our users are allowed to run any cgi
> > scripts they want --  could this cause a potential problem with
> > worker?
>
> As far as I know CGIs /always/ get their own process so they should be

Well, it's slightly more complicated than that due to the the CGI gets
spawned -- fork()ing a threaded process in order to exec() the CGI is not
so nice.  So on threaded MPMs, mod_cgid gets used instead of mod_cgi.  It
has a separate process that runs as a cgi daemon with which the server
child processes communicate.  It's that daemon that forks to exec the CGI
script.

--Cliff

Re: MPM and AcceptMutex questions

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.
Kristina Clair wrote:
> I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
> traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
> worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
> real-world experience with this?  Our users are allowed to run any cgi
> scripts they want --  could this cause a potential problem with
> worker?

As far as I know CGIs /always/ get their own process so they should be
OK. PHP might be more of a problem if you support it.

--
Andy Armstrong

Re: MPM and AcceptMutex questions

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
Hi Kristina,

On Dec 3, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Kristina Clair wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is really the right list for this, but I got no
> response from the "users" list, so I'm wondering if some of the
> developers might be able to shed some light.  Sorry if it's
> inappropriate to mail this list with these questions.

Yeah, it's not the right forum, but no big deal.

<...>

> I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
> traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
> worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
> real-world experience with this?  Our users are allowed to run any cgi
> scripts they want --  could this cause a potential problem with
> worker?

On Linux, especially the older versions before kernel 2.6, the kernel
uses a process data structure for each thread. Switching from a forked
model to a threaded model doesn't really make a difference w.r.t.
performance. You may see a difference in semaphore load (see below).

In fact, you may see some problems running CGIs with Worker on a
heavily loaded server. As someone else remarks, forking CGIs from a
threaded server poses logistical problems, so Worker uses a
construction called cgid which is a separate program that receives CGI
requests from the worker threads. It takes care of forking the CGIs and
communicating the results back. This communication happens over a unix
domain socket.

When I used to run benchmarks for a living, I frequently saw the cgid
queue back up when using worker under high load. When this happens, the
worker threads try a few times to contact cgid, then give up and send a
500 Internal Server Error response back to the client. Not the result
you want.

A way around this would be to proxy cgi requests to a different
instance of Apache, running Prefork. This would be more tunable than
cgid, which (I think, from browsing the source code) just has one
process servicing CGI requests from all workers with a listen backlog
of only 100.

> Also, I recently encountered a problem with the mutex device - I'm
> using the default AcceptMutex setting, which is sysvsem, but it is
> leaving semaphores around when httpd is restarted.  It seems like the
> two main recommendations for fixing this are to either increase the
> max number of semaphores in the kernel or use AcceptMutex fcntl
> instead.  Again, has anyone had any experience with this? It's probably
> also important to note that the files that apache serves are nfs -
> does this
> give me a disadvantage if I try to use fcntl?  And if I increase the
> max semaphores in the kernel - isn't it just a matter of time before
> they all get used up too?

Apache should clean up after itself. If you're seeing dangling
semaphores in the ipcs output, you probably have crashes going on. When
Apache exits cleanly, it removes its semaphore(s).

Apache doesn't use all that many semaphores. It uses one for the accept
lock (AcceptMutex), one to serialize access to the SSL session store
(if you're running SSL) and that's about it. In fact, if you have only
one listener (one Listen statement in httpd.conf), it will not even use
an AcceptMutex on many platforms. I don't remember if this is the case
with Red Hat 7.3: run httpd -V and if you have "-D
SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT" in the output, you'll run without
AcceptMutex if you have only a single listener.

If you're running with sysvsem, you probably applied some kernel
tunings w.r.t. the semaphore resources. As I said, Apache doesn't use
all that many semaphores. What you're running out of (No Space Left On
Device) are Undo Structures. The sysv semaphore locking code in APR
allocates an Undo Structure every time it tries to lock. This is a
little extra work, but it ensures that the semaphore can be unlocked
even if a process crashes while holding the lock. Now, the AcceptMutex
works by having each and every httpd child try to lock the semaphore.
Only one can succeed, the others camp out on the lock. This means every
child (all hundreds of them) allocate an undo structure for that mutex,
so your kernel tunings must be able to accommodate this.

When you're running Worker, you'll have one listener thread for each
process. This listener thread then fires off worker threads to handle
the requests it receives. This means you'll have a lot fewer listeners
on the AcceptMutex than in the prefork case. However, you'll probably
have to beef up your maximum number of open files per process (ulimit
-n) and you may run into the cgid scalability problem I described
above.

Is sysvsem the right mutex for you? Hard to tell. During my benchmark
runs (none of which have published results, unfortunately), I have
found sysvsem to be slightly faster than fcntl, but at the cost of a
much higher system load. However, that was back in the days of Apache
1.3. The picture for Apache 2.0 may be different, especially in the
Worker case.

The final answer may be that you'll have to set up the various
scenarios on a staging box and point Siege at it, then see if you can
make it not fall over. (:

Hope some of this is relevant for you. As you see, it has nothing to do
with programming (unless you're interested in rewriting mod_cgid to
make it pre-fork for more scalability), so it really belongs on the
users list. (:

S.