Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Sourav Mazumder <so...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/12 01:18:11 UTC

SQL query support in Flink

Hi,

Just wanted to check whether one can directly run SQL queries on Flink.

For example whether one can define a table on a dataset and then run
queries like dataset.sql ("select column1, column2 from mytable").

I used to think that this is possible right now in 0.10.1. But when I
checked the blog a year in review
http://flink.apache.org/news/2015/12/18/a-year-in-review.html, I found
there is a feature mentioned in 2016's roadmap as - "SQL queries for static
data sets and streams". Hence my doubt.

Regards,
Sourav

Re: SQL query support in Flink

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sourav,

Flink does not support to execute SQL queries on DataSets, yet.
We just started an effort to change that. See the discussion on the dev
mailing list [1] and the corresponding design document [2].

For simple relational queries, you can use the Table API [3].

Best,
Fabian

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/flink-dev/201601.mbox/%3CCAAdrtT04o6tU%2BDHM4632v_8p7QxT7ErFWicpuzFUtfaDMOK9FQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E