Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/04/01 18:44:19 UTC

Re: [standard] Packaging suggestions

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Shawn Bayern wrote:

> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:23:40 -0500 (EST)
> From: Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>
> To: Tag Libraries Developers List <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [standard] Packaging suggestions
>
> Hans,
>
> This all sounds good to me.  I'll try to incorporate all of these
> suggestions into Beta 2.  The CVS archive has a README.txt file, but we
> don't expose it in the binary distribution.
>
> Concerning the duplication between jstl.jar and standard.jar, the hope was
> that users wanting all of JSTL could simply install a single JAR
> (standard.jar), while developers of other implementations might want just
> the public, spec'd APIs (jstl.jar).  Perhaps we can include the latter in
> a subdirectory off the root, though; it's not what most users are
> interested in anyway.
>
> Thoughts?

One thing to keep in mind is that, in the future, the API classes part
(jstl.jar) will often be provided by the container but you can still use
different implementations.  I would suggest removing the API classes from
standard.jar and requiring current users to include both, and just remove
jstl.jar once the containers provide support (and a default
implementation).

If you look at the way the Java XML Pack and Java Web Services Developer
Pack are packaged, you'll see that we have done this with all of the XML
based APIs (jaxm-api.jar versus jaxm-ri.jar), for the same reason.

> Shawn

Craig

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind is that, in the future, the API classes part
> (jstl.jar) will often be provided by the container but you can still
> use different implementations.  I would suggest removing the API
> classes from standard.jar and requiring current users to include both,
> and just remove jstl.jar once the containers provide support (and a
> default implementation).
>
> If you look at the way the Java XML Pack and Java Web Services
> Developer Pack are packaged, you'll see that we have done this with
> all of the XML based APIs (jaxm-api.jar versus jaxm-ri.jar), for the
> same reason.

Good points, Craig.  Okay, I'll make the split.  Hans is right too -- it's
not as if standard.jar is a panacea anyway; users still need multiple
JARs.

Thanks,

Shawn