Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org> on 2013/12/02 20:47:43 UTC

branch development for HADOOP-9639

We have been having discussions on HADOOP-9639 (shared cache for jars) and
the proposed design there for some time now. We are going to start work on
this and have it vetted and reviewed by the community. I have just filed
some more implementation JIRAs for this feature: YARN-1465, MAPREDUCE-5662,
YARN-1466, YARN-1467

Rather than working privately in our corner and sharing a big patch at the
end, I'd like to explore the idea of developing on a branch in the public
to foster more public feedback. Recently the Hadoop PMC has passed the
change to the bylaws to allow for branch committers (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201307.mbox/%3CCACO5Y4y7HZnn3BS-ZyCVfv-UBcMudeQhndr2vqg%3DXqE1oBiQvQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E),
and I think it would be a good model for this development.

I'd like to propose a branch development and a branch committer status for
a couple of us who are going to work on this per bylaw. Could you please
let me know what you think?

 Thanks,
Sangjin

Re: branch development for HADOOP-9639

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1    good idea

Thanks for contributing Sangjin.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Chris,

I'm already on it.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> +1 for the idea.  The branch committership clause was added for exactly
> this kind of scenario.
>
> From the phrasing in the bylaws, it looks like we'll need assistance from
> PMC to get the ball rolling.  Is there a PMC member out there who could
> volunteer to help start the process with Sangjin?
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We have been having discussions on HADOOP-9639 (shared cache for jars)
> and
> > the proposed design there for some time now. We are going to start work
> on
> > this and have it vetted and reviewed by the community. I have just filed
> > some more implementation JIRAs for this feature: YARN-1465,
> MAPREDUCE-5662,
> > YARN-1466, YARN-1467
> >
> > Rather than working privately in our corner and sharing a big patch at
> the
> > end, I'd like to explore the idea of developing on a branch in the public
> > to foster more public feedback. Recently the Hadoop PMC has passed the
> > change to the bylaws to allow for branch committers (
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201307.mbox/%3CCACO5Y4y7HZnn3BS-ZyCVfv-UBcMudeQhndr2vqg%3DXqE1oBiQvQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> > ),
> > and I think it would be a good model for this development.
> >
> > I'd like to propose a branch development and a branch committer status
> for
> > a couple of us who are going to work on this per bylaw. Could you please
> > let me know what you think?
> >
> >  Thanks,
> > Sangjin
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Alejandro

Re: branch development for HADOOP-9639

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Chris,

I'm already on it.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> +1 for the idea.  The branch committership clause was added for exactly
> this kind of scenario.
>
> From the phrasing in the bylaws, it looks like we'll need assistance from
> PMC to get the ball rolling.  Is there a PMC member out there who could
> volunteer to help start the process with Sangjin?
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We have been having discussions on HADOOP-9639 (shared cache for jars)
> and
> > the proposed design there for some time now. We are going to start work
> on
> > this and have it vetted and reviewed by the community. I have just filed
> > some more implementation JIRAs for this feature: YARN-1465,
> MAPREDUCE-5662,
> > YARN-1466, YARN-1467
> >
> > Rather than working privately in our corner and sharing a big patch at
> the
> > end, I'd like to explore the idea of developing on a branch in the public
> > to foster more public feedback. Recently the Hadoop PMC has passed the
> > change to the bylaws to allow for branch committers (
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201307.mbox/%3CCACO5Y4y7HZnn3BS-ZyCVfv-UBcMudeQhndr2vqg%3DXqE1oBiQvQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> > ),
> > and I think it would be a good model for this development.
> >
> > I'd like to propose a branch development and a branch committer status
> for
> > a couple of us who are going to work on this per bylaw. Could you please
> > let me know what you think?
> >
> >  Thanks,
> > Sangjin
> >

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Alejandro

Re: branch development for HADOOP-9639

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Chris,

I'm already on it.

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> +1 for the idea.  The branch committership clause was added for exactly
> this kind of scenario.
>
> From the phrasing in the bylaws, it looks like we'll need assistance from
> PMC to get the ball rolling.  Is there a PMC member out there who could
> volunteer to help start the process with Sangjin?
>
> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We have been having discussions on HADOOP-9639 (shared cache for jars)
> and
> > the proposed design there for some time now. We are going to start work
> on
> > this and have it vetted and reviewed by the community. I have just filed
> > some more implementation JIRAs for this feature: YARN-1465,
> MAPREDUCE-5662,
> > YARN-1466, YARN-1467
> >
> > Rather than working privately in our corner and sharing a big patch at
> the
> > end, I'd like to explore the idea of developing on a branch in the public
> > to foster more public feedback. Recently the Hadoop PMC has passed the
> > change to the bylaws to allow for branch committers (
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201307.mbox/%3CCACO5Y4y7HZnn3BS-ZyCVfv-UBcMudeQhndr2vqg%3DXqE1oBiQvQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> > ),
> > and I think it would be a good model for this development.
> >
> > I'd like to propose a branch development and a branch committer status
> for
> > a couple of us who are going to work on this per bylaw. Could you please
> > let me know what you think?
> >
> >  Thanks,
> > Sangjin
> >

> --