Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com> on 2013/01/20 03:06:09 UTC

Tomcat 8 question

Back in August 2011 (a long time ago, I know) Mark wrote a blog posting about Tomcat 8 and Java 7:

http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2011/08/25/apache-tomcat-8-and-java-7-will-they-work-together

In it, he said "We create a new major version of Tomcat when there are new versions of three specifications-Servlet, JavaServer Pages (JSP) and Expression Language (EL)." I know I keep hearing about Tomcat 8 being for Java EE 7, but as of yet I haven't found any evidence at all that EE 7 will include a new version of the JSP specification. I have found several lists, one of them only a week old, of all the specifications in EE 7, and JSP-next was not among them. My Google searches for "JSP 2.3" and "JSP 3.0" yielded no results that actually had anything to do with the next JSP specification.

So, will Tomcat 8 be targeted for EE 7, or will it wait until JSP-next comes out, even if that takes a good deal longer than EE 7?

Also, I know that a lot depends on the timeline of EE 7, but now that that date is approaching, do we have a GENERAL timeframe for Tomcat 8? Are we talking late 2013? Or could it take until 2014?

Thanks,

Nick

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.

RE: Tomcat 8 question

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.
Thanks, Mark.

Also, thanks Violeta for pointing out Mark's slides where he mentions JSP 2.3.

Nick

On 20/01/2013 07:14, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/1/20 Williams, Nick
>
>> So, will Tomcat 8 be targeted for EE 7, or will it wait until
>> JSP-next comes out, even if that takes a good deal longer than EE 7?
>>
>> Also, I know that a lot depends on the timeline of EE 7, but now that
>> that date is approaching, do we have a GENERAL timeframe for Tomcat
>> 8? Are we talking late 2013? Or could it take until 2014?
>>

> Check Mark's presentation [1]

There will be a maintenance release of the JSP specification. The only potential change I am aware of is limiting the HTTP methods that JSPs respond to to HEAD, GET and POST.

How long the first Tomcat 8 release (that fully implements the specs) takes depends on how much time folks spend on implementing them. I'll have an update on Tomcat 8 progress at ApacheCon NA next month and the slides will be available from the usual place once I have written them.

As always, help is appreciated.

Mark

Re: Tomcat 8 question

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 8 question

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2013/1/20 Williams, Nick

> So, will Tomcat 8 be targeted for EE 7, or will it wait until JSP-next
> comes out, even if that takes a good deal longer than EE 7?
>
> Also, I know that a lot depends on the timeline of EE 7, but now that that
> date is approaching, do we have a GENERAL timeframe for Tomcat 8? Are we
> talking late 2013? Or could it take until 2014?

Check Mark's presentation [1]

Regards
Violeta

[1]