Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/14 22:15:16 UTC

Service Link vs Direct Link vs IPage vs ILink vs PropertySelection

I have a bunch of links I'm trying to convert to a dropdown list. The
problem is once I do that they all go to a  listener that could either
return an IPage or an ILink. Currently some of the links are
DirectLinks and some are links to custom services such as a FOP pdf
service, a CSV service or a Jasper Report Service.

I cannot figure out a way to get an IPage or ILink for these various
things. I think IPage is out of  the question because I may need to
switch EngineServices, but it seems like ILink might work. The problem
is ILink wants something that implements DirectLink which my
DirectLink component does and then figures out what listenerer to
call. Currently those things all return IPage so I can't just call
them.

I guess I could implement IDirect in my component but then how do I
figure out what listener to call on all my existing pages? It's not
really possible to pass them in because the list of links is generated
from a database query. I don't really want to go to all my existing
paging and implement IDirect.

So my question is: Is this even possible without a lot of work or
should I give up now?

Thanks
Barry

Re: Service Link vs Direct Link vs IPage vs ILink vs PropertySelection

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
I'll answer some of my own question. I realized you can return ILink
to handle the service cases and do a cycle.activate(IPage) to handle
the page cases and return null. That handles some of the problem.
Unfortunately I still had to customize each page but it did not take
as long as I thought it would.