Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glyn Normington <gl...@uk.ibm.com> on 2002/10/03 10:14:26 UTC

Lock down 1.0 and plan for 1.0.1

Well put, Dave!

I believe there is a majority consensus to lock down 1.0 and ship it soon.
A queue of 'required' features and fixes is starting to grow which I
suggest should go in an initial maintenance release (1.0.1? on the 1.0
branch) relatively soon after 1.0 but with a similar process so it doesn't
regress 1.0.

Glyn

                      David Chappell
                      <chappell@sonicso        To:       axis-dev@xml.apache.org
                      ftware.com>              cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: What fixes are now in R 1.0?
                      02/10/02 20:20
                      Please respond to
                      axis-dev

All,
Given that I introduced this notion of "truckstopper" mode, I think I
should clarify what I meant by it a little better.

- Its really much more effective if its part of a larger plan that
includes things like "Feature freeze" and "code freeze".  Its really
intended for a period of time ~2 weeks where no one is doing anything
but testing, getting their sanity back, and letting the release "bake"
for a while.

- Its based on a premise that *any* change, no matter how small, has the
potential to break for more than what the checkin is intended to fix.
Even a simple change like a command line parameter or a link in an html
file can lead to unexpected problems.

- It is better to ship with bugs that you know about, than to ship with
bugs that you don't know about because you were making checkins right up
to the day you ship.  Is there a release note process where known bugs
can be documented with gotchas and workarounds?

- The bugs that get uncovered in the field post-FCS by the users are
usually not the ones you were so worried about at the 11th hour.

We're all experienced developers here.  I'm sure I'm not saying anything
you don't already know.
Dave

Tom Jordahl wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> >If you want  to go in "truckstopper" mode and be more selective of fixes
> >and discuss that in a conference that's fine. If you decide we are going
> >to change the way things have worked and just  ignore what other people
> >request accept for the select few, shouldn't have that been voted on? :
-(

> Rick,
>
> Please see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=103339449319208&w=2
> and the votes that follow.
>
> I wrote:
> 3. Authorize Sam to clamp down HARD (truck stopper mode) on any source
changes - i.e.
> automatic VETO on everything unless it is a serious regression caused by
all of these
> bug fixes.  Russell and myself will back him up with -1 votes on merge
requests
> (unless its one of ours of course :-).
>
> And got at 5 positive votes on that.
>
> --
> Tom Jordahl
> Macromedia Server Development

CDs

--
Sonic Software - Backbone of the Extended Enterprise
--

#### chappell.vcf has been removed from this note on October 03 2002 by
Glyn Normington