Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Jia Zhai <zh...@apache.org> on 2017/12/18 01:00:54 UTC

[VOTE] Apache BookKeeper Release 4.6.0, release candidate #2

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #2 for the version
4.6.0, as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

This new release candidate mainly fixed the license issue.

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* Release notes [1]
* The official Apache source and binary distributions to be deployed
to dist.apache.org [2]
* All artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [3]
* Source code tag "release-4.6.0" [4] with sha
0d6c21e0a88749c428749841db59cf53195e556c

BookKeeper's KEYS file contains PGP keys we used to sign this
release:https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/bookkeeper/KEYS

Please download these packages and review this release candidate:

- Review release notes
- Download the source package (verify md5, shasum, and asc) and follow the
instructions to build and run the bookkeeper service.
- Download the binary package (verify md5, shasum, and asc) and follow the
instructions to run the bookkeeper service.
- Review maven repo, release tag, licenses, and any other things you think
it is important to a release.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

Thanks,
Jia Zhai

[1] *https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/759
<https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/759>*
[2] *https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/bookkeeper/bookkeeper-4.6.0-rc2/
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/bookkeeper/bookkeeper-4.6.0-rc2/>*
[3]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebookkeeper-1023/
[4] https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/tree/release-4.6.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache BookKeeper Release 4.6.0, release candidate #2

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
Here's the source:
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-source/v2/code.google.com/jsr-305/source-archive.zip

-Ivan

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.
Please ignore this email. it has been cancelled, and a new voting email has
been sent. Thanks.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.
>> The license covers binary and source form, so we should adhere to the
>> original license, which is 3 clause BSD.
>
> I don't think we should be in the business of checking whether it volatiles
> 3 clause BSD license or not.
> The dependency that we pulled in is a bundled binary, which we should use
> the LICENSE that they associated
> with the bundled jar that the author pushed to maven central. If it
> violates BSD license, the author of this jar should address.
> However I am not the lawyer. so I can't judge what is right and what is
> wrong.
Just because findbugs violated the license doesn't mean were are in
the clear if we do the same.
Findbugs is dead, so there's no hope of them actually addressing it.

Ideally we could just remove this dependency, but the annotations have
runtime retention, so it's unlikely to result in good things
happening.
So we should include the correct license, which is available on google code.

> You seem to have strong opinions about these two *problematic*
> dependencies. And these dependencies were introduced by twitter stats
> providers for bookkeeper-all packages.
libthrift comes as part of twitter-server, but yes, they're not in the
default bookkeeper-server package.

> In order not to block release 4.6.0, I would suggest removing
> bookkeeper-all package from release 4.6.0. If people need bookkeeper-all
> package, they can compile from src package.
Sounds good to me.

> We can resume the discussion of bookkeeper-all package when licensing
> concerns are removed.
I've asked on the finagle github issues about getting the source or
notice for libthrift.

-Ivan

Re: [VOTE] Apache BookKeeper Release 4.6.0, release candidate #2

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.
Oh, Thanks you guys. Seems it is Apache 2.0 as Sijie mentioned. @Ivan,
Would you please help confirm it?

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Isn't this ASFv2?

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
It is ASLv2. Please check maven:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.twitter/libthrift/0.5.0-7

Sijie

On Dec 18, 2017 7:47 AM, "Ivan Kelly" <iv...@apache.org> wrote:

Also, I can't find the source for libthrift. It seems to be a twitter
fork of the original apache libthrift, but there's nothing on
twitter's github. It is presumably ASL, but there's nothing to confirm
this.

-Ivan

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.