Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/29 00:09:49 UTC

Product - Manufacturer Party Id question

Hi,

How do you create a party as a manufacturer, if you wanted to associate this
manufacturer party with the MANUFACTURER_PARTY_ID column of the PRODUCT
table?

I looked at PARTY_ROLE, ROLE_TYPE, PARTY_TYPE tables - couldnt find a role
or a type which is either manufacturer or OEM. What am I missing?

Re: Product - Manufacturer Party Id question

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sounds like a good idea

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Hmmmmmm

Posted by "skip@thedevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Adrian

I agree.  There are many businesses where you buy items from a wholesaler
that are essentially identical except that they are manufactured by
different companies.  Plumbing supplies, lumber and machine tools come to
mind.  The wholesaler is the supplier.  However, customers freqently request
items made by a particular manufacturer that they have had success with in
the past, hence the need to identify that attribute.

Skip

BJ Freeman wrote:
> Not sure that a manufacture party is any different from a SupplierID.
> how someone has product to sell you is not important, as they can sell
> it to you.
> unless I am missing something.
>
> Ritz123 sent the following on 1/28/2008 3:09 PM:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>How do you create a party as a manufacturer, if you wanted to associate
this
>>manufacturer party with the MANUFACTURER_PARTY_ID column of the PRODUCT
>>table?
>>
>>I looked at PARTY_ROLE, ROLE_TYPE, PARTY_TYPE tables - couldnt find a role
>>or a type which is either manufacturer or OEM. What am I missing?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:44 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:44 PM

Re: Product - Manufacturer Party Id question

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
BJ,

Posted by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com>.
Well (at least in my case) supplier and manufacturers are 2 different
entities.

Supplier (besides some of the other things) is used to purchase the products
from and hence generating the PO etc etc. Manufacturer on the other hand is
used in the website to identify/search/categorize products as well as to
distinguish within the group of similar products which mfg products are
selling more etc. I dont necessarily need contact mechanism etc for the
manufacturer but I do need products to be tagged by certain manufacturers.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys for the replies.

That would have been my guess and next step - but I am just surprized that
even if we have a designated column specifically for manufacturer party id,
and there are so many roles already in the role type table except
manufacturer. Bit intriguing.

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Not sure if it's what you are looking for but OOTB supplier role is the nearer.
Look at DemoSupplier for instance. I guess that if you need a manufaturer of OEM role type you will need to create it.

Jacques

From: "Ritz123" <ri...@gmail.com>