Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Hakan İlter <ha...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/25 08:58:07 UTC

Hadoop with Netapp

Hi everyone,

We are going to create a new Hadoop cluster in our company, i have to get
some advises from you:

1. Does anyone have stored whole Hadoop data not on local disks but
on Netapp or other storage system? Do we have to store datas on local disks,
if so is it because of performace issues?

2. What do you think about running Hadoop nodes in virtual (VMware)
servers?

Thanks...

Re: Hadoop with Netapp

Posted by Kai Voigt <k...@123.org>.
Hi,

Am 25.08.2011 um 08:58 schrieb Hakan İlter:

> We are going to create a new Hadoop cluster in our company, i have to get
> some advises from you:
>
> 1. Does anyone have stored whole Hadoop data not on local disks but
> on Netapp or other storage system? Do we have to store datas on local disks,
> if so is it because of performace issues?

HDFS and MapReduce benefit massively from local storage, so using any kind of remote storage (SAN, Amazon S3, etc) will make things slower.

> 2. What do you think about running Hadoop nodes in virtual (VMware)
> servers?

Virtualization can make certain things easier to handle, but it's a layer that will eat resources.

Kai

--
Kai Voigt
k@123.org

Re: Hadoop with Netapp

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 25/08/11 08:20, Sagar Shukla wrote:
> Hi Hakan,
>
>          Please find my comments inline in blue :

Silly question: why? SANs are SPOFs (Gray & van Ingen, MS, 2005; SAN
responsible for 11% of terraserver downtime).

Was it because you had the rack and wanted to run Hadoop, or did you
want a more agile cluster? Because it's going to increase your cost of
storage dramatically, which means you pay more per TB, or end up with
less TB of storage. I wouldn't go this way for a dedicated Hadoop
cluster. For a multi-use cluster, it's a different story

> 2. What do you think about running Hadoop nodes in virtual (VMware) servers?
>

> <sagar>: If high speed computing is not a requirement for you then Hadoop nodes in VM environment could be a good option, but one other slight drawback is when the VM crashes recovery of the in-memory data would be gone. Hadoop takes care of some amount of failover, but there is some amount of risk involved and requires good HA building capabilities.

I do it for dev and test work, and for isolated clusters in a shared
environment.

-for CPU bound stuff, it actually works quite well, as there's no
significant overhead

-for HDD access, reading from the FS, writing to the FS and to store
transient spill data you take a tangible performance hit. That's OK if
you can afford to wait or rent a few extra CPUs -and your block size is
such that those extra servers can help out -which may be in the map
phase more than the reduce phase

Some Hadoop-ish projects -Stratosphere from TuB in particular- are
designed for VM infrastructure so come up with execution plans to use
VMs efficiently.

-steve

RE: Hadoop with Netapp

Posted by Sagar Shukla <sa...@persistent.co.in>.

[...]