Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> on 2016/08/19 18:33:42 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Removing SOCKS support in 7.0.0

There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!

SOCKS is a feature that hasn’t had a lot of usage and support on it.  It would be helpful to know who is using it and willing to fix bugs on it.

The proposal is to remove the configurations options, statistics, and code for SOCKS.

Thank you,

-Bryan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing SOCKS support in 7.0.0

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
Thank you for all the feedback on this proposal.  SOCKS support will stay in 7.0.0.

-Bryan

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chao Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bryan Call,

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chao Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chao Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 19, 2016, at 2:33 PM, Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> There are a few features we are looking to remove in the ATS 7.0.0 release.  If you are using these features and require them, please respond to this email.  We also need to have people that are willing to invest time and fix some of the bugs for these features.   Your feedback is very important!
>
> SOCKS is a feature that hasn’t had a lot of usage and support on it.  It would be helpful to know who is using it and willing to fix bugs on it.
>
> The proposal is to remove the configurations options, statistics, and code for SOCKS.

To me personally, this is a slam dunk, we should remove it. There are better SOCKS proxies out there, and we (the ATS community)  have no idea if we are a secure with our implementation as we’d want to be. Carrying on with this legacy service in ATS is just a burden.

Of course, as usual, if someone wants to continue the active support of this code base, please speak up.

I’m hugely +1 on removing this.

— Leif

Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing SOCKS support in 7.0.0

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
+1 on removing SOCKS

​​​​​​--
Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
GPG: 8716 7A9F 989B ABD5 100F  4008 F266 55D6 2998 1641

Re: [PROPOSAL] Removing SOCKS support in 7.0.0

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
+1