Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by fredric greene <bl...@msn.com> on 2001/08/15 22:45:08 UTC

gcc compiler not working with apache server

Please help-
I'm trying to compile an Apache server (1.3.9) using gcc (3.0 then reinstalled 2.95). No luck. Configure command keeps giving me output below - "..doing sanity check.....Apache requires an ANSI C compiler."
I've tried different versions of gcc (all apparently ANSI compliant).
I've tried different flags for gcc (gcc-ansi; CC=gcc)
I've tried different path setups.
I have a valid "Make" in my path.
I've tried different compiler flags (CFLAGS, LDFLAGS)
# ./Configure
Using config file: Configuration
Creating Makefile
+ configured for Solaris 280 platform
+ setting C pre-processor to /usr/local/bin
+ checking for system header files
+ adding selected modules
+ doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. The below error output from the compilation
** test will give you an idea what is failing. Note that
** Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such as gcc.

Please help. Thanks.
Fredric Greene
bluegreene1@msn.com

Re: gcc compiler not working with apache server

Posted by Cody Sherr <cs...@covalent.net>.
Your configure step is not finding a valid compiler.

1) check your system for a modern version of gcc, such as 2.95. Based on
the fact that you have apache 1.3.9, I can't imagine what version of gcc
you are using.

2) you have to set your CC variable to point to this version of cc. For
bourne shell:

export CC=/path/to/gcc

regards,

--
Cody Sherr

Engineer
Covalent Technologies

phone: (415)536-5292
email: csherr@covalent.net

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
At 1:45 PM -0700 8/15/01, fredric greene wrote:
>Please help-
>
>I'm trying to compile an Apache server (1.3.9) using gcc (3.0 then reinstalled 2.95). No luck. Configure command keeps giving me output below - "..doing sanity check.....Apache requires an ANSI C compiler."

1.3.9 ???

I'd suggest 1.3.20 :)
                   will lose both and deserve neither"