Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/11/19 10:44:03 UTC

All JUnit tests now pass! Next steps...

It took a while but all our JUnit tests now pass, next I'd like to get
a continuous integration server set up.  Can anybody recommend some
tools that they've had good experiences with?  I'm trying out Apache
Continuum at the moment (eat our own dog food) but I'd love to hear
from anyone who has actual experience with an open source CI tool (I
do not).

Once that is done I'd like to have it run the tests after every commit
and report any failures to the dev list.  It would then be the
offending committer's responsibility (well primarily at least) to fix
the problem as soon as possible, much like a build failure.  If we
can't get everyone to agree to take on that responsibility then I
might as well stop now because I'll be damned if I'm going to spend
any more time fixing tests that I didn't break :-)

Any thoughts?

After that I'll starting looking at what can be done to improve the
test tools and make tests easier to write, start looking at selenium
and start writing tests for open bug reports to be committed with the
fix so that they never occur again.

All of this should help us increase the stability of the trunk and our
confidence when taking a checkout that we won't half to spend our
development time fixing things that used to work.  It'll hopefully
also encourage the community to contribute more tests with the
knowledge that doing so will increase the stability of the
functionality they depend on.  Fix a bug and you're good for a day,
write a test and you're good a lifetime :-)

Regards
Scott

Re: All JUnit tests now pass! Next steps...

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> I have a run-tests target set up in the base component. I'm having one small problem that I hope a junit guru can help me with...
>
> The tests that require properties files are failing with a MissingResourceException. I know what the problem is - the classloader can't find the properties files, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
>
> Here is the classpath I set up for the junit tests:
>
>     <path id="junit.class.path">
>         <fileset dir="${build.dir}/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
>         <fileset dir="config" includes="*.properties"/>

Remove the includes attribute, and all will be well.

Re: All JUnit tests now pass! Next steps...

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
I have a run-tests target set up in the base component. I'm having one small problem that I hope a junit guru can help me with...

The tests that require properties files are failing with a MissingResourceException. I know what the problem is - the classloader can't find the properties files, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

Here is the classpath I set up for the junit tests:

    <path id="junit.class.path">
        <fileset dir="${build.dir}/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
        <fileset dir="config" includes="*.properties"/>
        <fileset dir="${lib.dir}" includes="*.jar"/>
        <fileset dir="${lib.dir}/commons" includes="*.jar"/>
        <fileset dir="${lib.dir}/j2eespecs" includes="*.jar"/>
        <fileset dir="${lib.dir}/scripting" includes="*.jar"/>
        <fileset dir="../start/build/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
    </path>

And here is the target:

    <target name="run-tests" depends="jar">
        <junit fork="yes" haltonfailure="yes">
            <test name="org.ofbiz.base.test.BaseUnitTests" />
            <formatter type="plain" usefile="false" />
            <classpath refid="junit.class.path" />
        </junit>
    </target>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Adrian

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> What I had in mind was something like a run-tests ant target in the
> component's build.xml file. The run-tests target would depend on the
> build target.
>
> That would make code testing really easy and convenient: modify code,
> run-tests, modify code some more, run-tests...

Except that it's really slow,  having to start up the ofbiz container
each time.  It'd be nice to be able to reload individual components.

Hmm, that's something I have experience with...

Re: All JUnit tests now pass! Next steps...

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Scott,

Thank you very much for all of your hard work! I agree that we need to
focus more on testing - especially as OFBiz continues to grow.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, bravo!

As said Christian, using Apache tools seems the way
I have no preferences (and no knowledge BTW), looks like some investigation is needed...

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
CI just stands for continuous integration and is the umbrella that all
the specific tools live under.

I haven't (and don't plan to at this stage) had a look at the ASF
hosted OFBiz demo setup but we should be able to take care of this as
a separate effort because the CI tools are hosted on their own
separate servers.

 From the link that Christian provided, we've got the choice of:
BuildBot (Feature list looks impressive: http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html
, includes the RAT tool for licensing checks)
Continuum (ASF project)
Gump (ASF project)
Hudson (Seems to be popular)

I'd like to prefer an ASF project but not if it means giving up on
some features that would be really useful.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Awesome Scott - thanks.

Cheers,
Ruppert
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hey Scott,

I think I am responsible for this (I have changed some of the demo data yesterday).
I am going to fix them right away, so don't waste your time on this.

Thank you for the notice,

Jacopo

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Scott,