Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Wesselmann, Marcus" <Ma...@buw.de> on 2001/06/14 15:21:31 UTC

Problems with Xvfb

Hi,

I've installed Xvfb to get the SVG features. It's now running on :0.0
800x600x8

But I still get an error message in the cocoon.log, that it's not possible
to connect to :0.0.

Did I forget something ???

Thanks,

Marcus

b u. w TELEFONMARKETING

Marcus Wesselmann
IT-Manager CRM & Middleware

b u. w TELEFONMARKETING GmbH
Rheiner Landstr. 195
49078 Osnabrück

Tel:	+49 (0)5 41-94 62-1 88
Fax: 	+49 (0)5 41-94 62-4 84
mobil:     +49 (0)1 70-6 38 27 61
eMail:	marcus.wesselmann@buw.de
Web:	www.buw.de

Re: Problems with Xvfb

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
"Wesselmann, Marcus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Xvfb to get the SVG features. It's now running on :0.0
> 800x600x8
>
> But I still get an error message in the cocoon.log, that it's not possible
> to connect to :0.0.
>
> Did I forget something ???

I am not a unix expert, but I have found that the root user sometimes will
have dificulty instantiating an X based program esp. if 'su'd as another user.
Consult your X documentation for a valid setting for the DISPLAY environment
variable.

Also, the bit depth of your Xvfb has serious consequenses with generated
graphics.  You are in essence limiting your image to the color pallette of
your Xvfb environment, and 256 color images don't look as nicely as 16 bit
or 24 bit images.  The exception to that rule is when you start with a
higher bit depth, and select the colors you need (i.e. downsampling to a
GIF image).

Re: Problems with Xvfb

Posted by eirikdentz <ei...@brainlink.com>.
Did you check to see what your DISPLAY environmental variable is set to,
prior to starting tomcat?
i.e. echo $DISPLAY

If you are starting Xvfb without a wrapper script that sets it for you,
you'll probably need to set it with:
export DISPLAY=:0
The other thing is that you might need to configure the Xserver to allow the
user that you run Tomcat under to connect to the :0 display. Many default
configurations only allow the root user to connect to the :0 (default)
display

If you start tomcat as root, you shouldn't have that problem, which is what
you might want to do during the configuration and testing phase.  Of course
that's a security risk that you probably wouldn't want to take on a
production system,  ;-)

HTH
eirik