Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by payalsharma <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2008/12/09 13:50:42 UTC

Issue with Search when using wildcard(*) in search term.

Hi All,

I am searching a term on Solr by using wildcard character "*" like this :

http://delpearsonwebapps:8080/apache-solr-1.3.0/core510000043/select/?q=alle*

here the search term(word) is : alle*
This query gives me proper result , but as i give dismaxrequest as parameter
in the query , no results are returned , query with dismax parameter goes
like this :

http://delpearsonwebapps:8080/apache-solr-1.3.0/core510000043/select/?q=alle*&qt=dismaxrequest

Can anybody let me know the reason behind this behavior, also do I need to
make any changes in my SolrConfig.XML  in order to make the query run with
both Wildcard as well as dismaxrequest.

Thanks in advance.

Payal

Re: Issue with Search when using wildcard(*) in search term.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
payalsharma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am searching a term on Solr by using wildcard character "*" like this :
>
> http://delpearsonwebapps:8080/apache-solr-1.3.0/core510000043/select/?q=alle*
>
> here the search term(word) is : alle*
> This query gives me proper result , but as i give dismaxrequest as parameter
> in the query , no results are returned , query with dismax parameter goes
> like this :
>
> http://delpearsonwebapps:8080/apache-solr-1.3.0/core510000043/select/?q=alle*&qt=dismaxrequest
>

> Can anybody let me know the reason behind this behavior, also do I need to
> make any changes in my SolrConfig.XML  in order to make the query run with
> both Wildcard as well as dismaxrequest.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Payal

Dismax doesnt work with wildcards does it? I think its just +/-/AND/OR.

\- Mark

RE: Issue with Search when using wildcard(*) in search term.

Posted by "Feak, Todd" <To...@smss.sony.com>.
I'm pretty sure "*" isn't supported by DisMax.

>From the Solr Wiki on DisMaxRequestHandler overview

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler?highlight=(dismax)#head
-ce5517b6c702a55af5cc14a2c284dbd9f18a18c2

"This query handler supports an extremely simplified subset of the
Lucene QueryParser syntax. Quotes can be used to group phrases, and +/-
can be used to denote mandatory and optional clauses ... but all other
Lucene query parser special characters are escaped to simplify the user
experience......"

-Todd Feak