Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com> on 1996/01/21 06:01:01 UTC

Re: proxying

In message <19...@volterra.ai.mit.edu>, Robert S. Thau writes:
>Regarding dealing with large directories, there's always the fake
>hierarchy trick --- my home directory on Athena is /.../r/s/rst;
>another person's might be /.../f/o/foo.

Or just use something like good ole hashPJW from the Dragon Book and include
a perl script that hashes so that you can write shell scripts/commands to
access the cache.  Hash to a 4 digit string, and use each of the digits
(or pairs of two) for subdirectory names.

Every time I see a problem like this that calls for using the filesystem
like a database I think it'd be great to use a real database.  And then
I wake up and remember how much easier it is to use the hundreds of
commands I already know for manipulating files.  ;)

Dean