Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2014/02/21 15:22:50 UTC

DocumentStores and in-memory-caching

Hi there,

I've been looking how to re-use the MongoDocumentStore's builtin memory
cache in other document stores. Ideally, the DS implementation wouldn't
have a memory store at all, and we would be able to just wrap the
non-caching store with a caching wrapper.

The trouble with this is that the DS API looses some essential
information, for instance in create(...) and update(...), where the
return value doesn't include the updated documents.

One potential approach would be to either modify the DocumentStore API
to include the missing information, or to have a separate interface a DS
could implement which does.

However, the proposal above assumes that we can clearly separate the
persistence from the cache. I believe that assumption is valid, but if
it's not we'll need a different approach.

Best regards, Julian