Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/05/06 12:55:59 UTC

Re: using confluence for main site documentation

Alan,

Can you go ahead and set up another space for us named VCLDOC?  Then, we can
limit access to contributing to that space to people who have a CLA on file
and configure the autoexported contents to be copied to

http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/

to use as our official documentation.

Thanks,
Josh

On Tue March 10 2009 9:39:10 am Josh Thompson wrote:
> It is my understanding that anyone can contribute to the wiki space we
> currently have, but that whatever wiki space we set up to autoexport as
> our "official project documentation" can only have contributors that have
> signed a CLA.
>
> This site:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html
>
> seems to be the guide for creating content at
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/
>
> Under the section titled "Using A Wiki To Create Documentation" there is
> a "guidelines" link that goes to this FAQ:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/
>
> At the top of that pages, there is a bullet that says:
>
> "Some Spaces are being used to create the Project documentation. Editing
> access to such Spaces might be restricted to Project committers or
> individuals who have filed a Contributor's License Agreement with the ASF."
>
> This tells me there are some spaces for project documentation, and other
> that are *not* for project documentation, and thus don't require a CLA to
> contribute to them.
>
> What we'd like is to have 2 areas: one where anyone can contribute content,
> and another area where we can maintain the official project documentation
> and have it autoexported to
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/vcl/
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> On Thursday February 19, 2009, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > Yes, that second Confluence instance.  I'm not sure that it's needed
> > since all documentation needs a CLA.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Alan
> >
> > On Feb 19, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:
> > >
> > > Alan,
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what you mean by
> > >
> > > "I'm not sure why we would want two different wikis."
> > >
> > > Are you referring to what I said about having a second confluence
> > > space that's
> > > only for official project documentation?
> > >
> > > Josh

> > > - --
> > > - -------------------------------
> > > Josh Thompson