Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org> on 2019/10/10 09:54:31 UTC

Proposal: Improve JMAP/blobStore efficiency

Hello all,

At Linagora we rely on the distributed James Guice implementation.

We are willing to improve mail (JMAP) experience on top of Object storage.

In order to do so, we want the "list emails in a mailbox scenario" to
not lead to read the slow object storage.

In order to achieve this, I propose the following architecture decision
(lazy consensus):

 - Implement JMAP partial reads upon /get
 - Precompute JMAP Message Preview
 - Propose a composite BlobStore savingsmall objects in Cassandra
 - Add a blobId list so that ObjectStorage do not save several time the
same blob

I already created two distinct issue, with architecture decision records
(proposals) attached to them, while waiting for a better place to share
them:

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-2919

Allow partial message read in JMAP DRAFT

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-2921

Improve blob store usage

What do you think about these propositions?

Best regards,

Benoit