Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net> on 2014/04/14 20:59:20 UTC

Multi-service version of tomcat7w

Is there a version (or equivalent) of Tomcat7w.exe, which can handle
multiple services in one instance, instead of needing to start a dozen
different instances of it to monitor and manage my 12 TC services?

If not, I may look into doing one...

Re: Multi-service version of tomcat7w

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

>>> Monitoring can be done via JMX,  and maybe in other different ways.
>>> There is no need to run "Tomcat7w.exe //MS//" for that.
>>>
>>> What are you using it for? What parameters are you monitoring?
>>

>> The same thing that tomcat7w.exe does:  setting startup parameters,
>
> You do not need to keep it running for that. Start it just when it is needed.

I know, but it doesn't let me select which service I'm dealing with, so
I have to either start it from a cmd line every time, or create a bunch
of shortcuts, one for each service I want to deal with.

>> and starting and stopping the service.
>
> That can be done via Services page in Windows, and via command line.

True, and that's how I usually do it.  But setting up the startup
parameters still requires either starting the app, or editing the
registry.  Doing both in one place which would let me select the service
I'm dealing with on the fly would be a convenience.

> There is no monitoring here.

True; perhaps managing would have been a better term.

Re: Multi-service version of tomcat7w

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On 4/14/2014 3:10 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

>>> Is there a version (or equivalent) of Tomcat7w.exe, which can handle
>>> multiple services in one instance, instead of needing to start a dozen
>>> different instances of it to monitor and manage my 12 TC services?
>>>
>>> If not, I may look into doing one...
>>>

>> Monitoring can be done via JMX,  and maybe in other different ways.
>> There is no need to run "Tomcat7w.exe //MS//" for that.
>>
>> What are you using it for? What parameters are you monitoring?
>

> The same thing that tomcat7w.exe does:  setting startup parameters,

You do not need to keep it running for that. Start it just when it is needed.

> and starting and stopping the service.

That can be done via Services page in Windows, and via command line.

There is no monitoring here.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Multi-service version of tomcat7w

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
>> Is there a version (or equivalent) of Tomcat7w.exe, which can handle
>> multiple services in one instance, instead of needing to start a dozen
>> different instances of it to monitor and manage my 12 TC services?
>>
>> If not, I may look into doing one...
>>

> Monitoring can be done via JMX,  and maybe in other different ways.
> There is no need to run "Tomcat7w.exe //MS//" for that.
>
> What are you using it for? What parameters are you monitoring?

The same thing that tomcat7w.exe does:  setting startup parameters, and

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.