Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jonas Jacobi <jo...@oracle.com> on 2005/01/13 17:08:19 UTC

Providing component design-time meta data

Hi All,

I have had an email exchange with Matthias about JSF, MyFaces and ADF
Faces and what level of design time support faces component authors
would, or could, expect from tools vendors such as (in my case) Oracle's
JDeveloper.

A couple of months back we (the Oracle ADF Faces team) posted a proposal
for design-time metadata for JSF at the JSFCentral website
(http://www.jsfcentral.com/articles/oracle_metadata_proposal.html).

Matthias thought it would be a good idea if I sent an email to this
mailing list asking for feedback on the proposal.

One of the concerns that we have is the lack of information provided by
the JSF spec that defines what syntax to use for associating additional
metadata with faces components. This lack of information can force tools
vendors to come up with their own syntax to support additional metadata
for custom components, which would force component authors to have to
deal with different solutions for different IDEs.  If there is a
standard in this area, component authors would be able to provide
metadata in one format that will work in all tools, and the end user
will be in the ideal situation of being able to pick the tool they want
to use independently from the component set that best meets their needs.

The goal would be to have a good and productive discussion about this
topic/proposal and try to come up with a solution that all parties
involved (component authors, tools vendors etc...) could agree upon, and
then put it in front of the EG as a proposal from the community to
enhance JSF. As one of the leading JSF organizations comments and
contributions from MyFaces to this proposal are greatly appreciated.

Matthias please feel free to correct me if I interpret your email
incorrectly.

Best Regards,
Jonas

Jonas Jacobi
Oracle JDeveloper - JSF & ADF Faces
Oracle Corporation, Redwood Shores
94065 California, US
http://www.orablogs.com/jjacobi
jonas.jacobi@oracle.com

RE: Providing component design-time meta data

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
I just read the proposal and think now it would
be interessting, to become a (common) community-based
standard on that.

Has anyone read the proposal too?
BTW. I guess by SUN there is a proposal,
that addresses this issue for Studio Creator too.
But I am not sure...

I thing it's important for authors of JSF componets
to see their components supported by *any* (or nearly all).

I remember to some questions on MyFaces user list,
"howto use MyFaces' components with Sun Creator"
So ok, if anybody is *supporting* this feature,
that's fine.

But then, there comes the next, "howto integrate
the MyFaces' extentions with IBM's JSF"?
etc.

A common standard on that would be a great deal.
Also the proposal says, that's the most of *Metadata*
for JSF components is included in TLDs for JSP Taglib,
but perhaps, on a long term, there are other usages
as JSP for JSF components. (see [1])

Sure, that's all disscussable, but why not
talking about that? Perhaps the existing
proposals could be merged, to become
one standard, based on a disscussion
started by a growing community like
our ;-)