Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "ristretto.rb" <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/17 01:16:21 UTC

Advice on moving from 1.3 to 1.4-dev or trunk?

Hello, I'm using solr 1.3 with solr.py.   We have a basic schema.xml,
nothing custom or out of the ordinary.
I need the following the feature from ....
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt

SOLR-911: Add support for multi-select faceting by allowing filters to be
    tagged and facet commands to exclude certain filters.  This patch also
    added the ability to change the output key for facets in the response, and
    optimized distributed faceting refinement by lowering parsing overhead and
    by making requests and responses smaller.

Since this requires 1.4, looks like I have to upgrade (or roll my own
solution that this feature provides.)
I'm looking for a bit of advice.  I have looked through the bugs here
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR/fixforversion/12313351

1.  I would need to get the source for 1.4 and build it, right?  No
release yet, eh?
2.  Any one using 1.4 in production without issue; is this wise?  Or
should I wait?
3.  Will I need to make changes to my schema.xml to support my current
field set under 1.4?
4.  Do I need to reindex all my data?

thanks
gene

Re: Advice on moving from 1.3 to 1.4-dev or trunk?

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
There may be APIs which are introduced after 1.3 release and are not
yet crystallized , may change by the time release happens.

As a rule of thumb any feature in the CHANGES.TXT post 1.3 is possible
to change . But as long as you know what you are using you should be
OK.
It is not quite possible to ensure that everything works perfectly .
but, what you can do is,
what ever features you use , test them thoroughly . If you face issues
report them back

--Noble

--
--Noble Paul

Fwd: Advice on moving from 1.3 to 1.4-dev or trunk?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

> When you say Test ... Are you suggesting there is a test suite I
> should run, or do just do my own testing?

your own testing...

If you use a 'nightly' the unit tests all pass.

BUT if you are not running from a standard release, there is may be
things that are not totally flushed out, or configurations that have
not been tried yet.  For a release build lots of effort is made to
make sure all lose ends are tied up.

ryan

Re: Advice on moving from 1.3 to 1.4-dev or trunk?

Posted by Gene Campbell <ge...@picante.co.nz>.
Thanks for the feedback.  Will read up on upgrading.  I actually went
with the trunk, not a nightly.

When you say Test ... Are you suggesting there is a test suite I
should run, or do just do my own testing?

thanks
gene

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM, ristretto.rb <ri...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 1.  I would need to get the source for 1.4 and build it, right?  No
> release yet, eh?

Nope.