Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Blische <er...@comcast.net> on 2002/07/01 00:46:43 UTC

(NT) Can not stop Tomcat - restarting fails, complaining that port 8080 is in use

Hello,

Today I downloaded (to my NT Laptop) the Apache Http Server, version 1.3.26, and
the Jakarta-Tomcat Server, version 4.0.4. Was able to run the Servlet and Jsp examples,
have not modified any of the various XML config files.

I first started Apache.exe, then started catalina via the startup.bat script. It seems
when I stop and restart catalina, it always fails to restart ... my undersized and
not-resizable crappy DOS window only provides the tail-end of the exception/trace...

        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.java:950)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConnector.java:1128)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:454)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:553)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

Why ? Seems to me if I do the shutdown.bat, a subsequent restart "should" work !
I am running as "admin" user, and looked through the process list for runaway/rogue
JVM's etc but all "seems" to be in order.

This question was asked in another thread but I am having a great deal of difficulty tracing
the messages and navigating through the user's FAQ list/archive. I apologize for that.

Thanks in advance ! I have written some Servlets in my day but have not as yet "managed"
the web server(s) ...

Eric