Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org> on 2023/04/21 05:36:26 UTC

[NOTICE] Please don't cherry-pick commits to branch-3.0 without consensus

Hi, all

We found that there were a lot of commits that were cherry-picked to
branch-3.0 without any discussion or notification to reach a
consensus. Some PRs marked for the 3.1.0 milestone were also
cherry-picked into branch-3.0. Here are the corresponding
cherry-picked commits:
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/3da39b2e1553cecbc6d6b85e8bc7844f611d5637
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/e248e14473142765db1df324c20a081a2422980e
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/e27abe9e128fb71b65ffe06417574c9a7f3facbd
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/e1d63990644700bf61b3d7af1ef6d4d62145c2bb
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/ff59240165c73a9c3a3dcca20702ab44b0b18d33
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/49480ea558e647169e8df01bfd2e871a5386e19e
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/1d1a3ef864a65c995ceda4b7875ed934c2574298
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/0df741259505b9189147d72c6f013b2c18f0436c
* https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/d05871213adc351d4c718c2a6fb0909b01d279ff

According to our release policy[0] and the code freeze notification
[1], all commits that need to be cherry-picked into branch-3.0 will
require reaching the consensus before cherry-picking.
Before cherry-picking the commit, we need to provide the context for
why it needs to be cherry-picked into branch-3.0. Then mark it with
the 3.0.0 milestone and raise the discussion to reach a consensus.

I would like to start a discussion regarding the context for the above
cherry-picked commits. Should we include them in Pulsar 3.0?
If there is still no consensus for the above commits, we may need to
revert them before the RC3.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let
us know. Thanks for your cooperation.

[0] https://pulsar.apache.org/contribute/release-policy/#release-cycles
[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/43d28rtzsx7x3o4zd523jr5dmnczrn4h

Thanks,
Zike Yang

Re: [NOTICE] Please don't cherry-pick commits to branch-3.0 without consensus

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.
Perhaps we can document any known issues in the release notes with an
indication of when they will be patched? That might help users
determine whether to upgrade now or to wait for the next patch
release.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zike,

I just reverted the commits of PIP-195 (minutes before your mail 😄)
except for https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/e248e14473142765db1df324c20a081a2422980e

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
We can revert it, thanks

--
Nicolò Boschi

Re: [NOTICE] Please don't cherry-pick commits to branch-3.0 without consensus

Posted by Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>.
Hi, all

Posted by Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>.
Hi, Michael

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zike Yang <zi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cong Zhao <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cong Zhao <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
I agree it's documented and the first time can be hard.
But maybe the document is lacking the practical steps for discussing
"Occasional exceptions will be
possible after higher scrutiny of the change" ?

That's why I'm suggesting a clear way for getting in touch with the release
managers

Nicolò Boschi

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.
This process is already documented :
https://pulsar.apache.org/contribute/release-policy/#release-cycles

"For feature releases and LTS releases, the last 3 weeks of the
release cycle will be marked as a code-freeze period. The RM will
branch off from master, and the RM is also responsible for selecting
the changes that will be cherry-picked in the release branch.

From the code-freeze point, to minimize the risk of delaying the

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cong Zhao <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Zike,

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.
I cherry picked [0] because it is a very minor change that is required
to make PIP 257 (a PIP introduced in 3.0.0) work for the function
worker deploying functions with alternative authentication data. The
change is covered by a test and only removes a null check that was
creating inconsistent results. I request that we keep this commit in
the release.

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/commit/0df741259505b9189147d72c6f013b2c18f0436c