Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/10/20 22:47:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] State of the project 2019

It's the time of the year where we are nearing Calcite's graduation
(birthday) on October 22! It's been a really busy year for Calcite and
we've added quite a few committers to the project with a total of 44
committers on the project.

We have seen 3 releases so far for Calcite this year, with each release
containing a significant amount of changes. More importantly, I think we
maintained a more steady and predictable release cadence for Calcite
this year. The project has also seen a big improvement in terms of
reviewing pull requests as well as increased participation on our
mailing lists. I think there is still work to be done in this area, but
the efforts we have made to address this this year should be highly
commended.

In terms of Avatica, we had 2 releases for Avatica itself and 1 release
for Avatica Go. Compared to Calcite, Avatica does not seem to be as
active in terms of contributors and reviews for pull requests. In the
last board report, a board member mentioned that Avatica was not very
discoverable [1]. I hope to see more active participation in Avatica in
terms of contributing code and reviewing pull requests in the coming
year and I would love to hear your thoughts on making Avatica more
discoverable.

The project also saw members of the Calcite, Flink and Beam teams
present a paper on the use of Calcite for streaming-SQL applications at
SIGMOD 2019. At ApacheCon NA in September, there were 5 talks on
Calcite. Props to those who presented talks and I'd love to see more
talks at future ApacheCons and events.

In terms of the community, we have seen a lot of new contributors and
participants on the list. I hardly see any question go unanswered and
it's very reassuring to see queries being answered so quickly. I think
our welcoming community and responsiveness is definitely a huge plus for us.

It's been a massive privilege to be able to serve as Calcite's PMC chair
in 2019. It's also been a big learning experience for me and I am really
lucky to be able to ask Julian and Michael for pointers when some of the
ASF's processes weren't clearly documented. I am also extremely proud of
having the opportunity to work with contributors who have shown great
care and craftsmanship to the code they are working on, focusing on
making sure code that makes it into the repository is well-thought-out
and supple.

When Calcite graduated to a top level project in 2015, we agreed to
rotate the PMC chair every 12 months. I want to use this as an
opportunity to start some discussion about a new chair. I believe
Stamatis Zampetakis is a good choice, if he is willing to accept.
Stamatis has been a great contributor to the project. He has shown a lot
of care and thought to the quality and state of the code and I feel
these attributes would make him a great PMC chair.

To repeat questions from previous years:

1) What else are we doing well in the project?
2) What areas do we need to do better?

Please take some time to share your thoughts!

Francis

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f9cdf702507d3a55204d7f844b7eb6906bc4fe8cb373e3e2822e3ade@%3Cdev.calcite.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] State of the project 2019

Posted by Xiening Dai <xn...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the improvement of pull request turnaround time. I also see a few new committers who are really active. They help review PRs and answer mail list questions, which really benefits the community and people who’d like to make code contribution.

I also feel like Calcite has big code base with a lot of history. It would be great if we could do more knowledge sharing, so people making changes in legacy code would have better understand on the history. Such sharing could be through documentation, talk, slices, or even code review and email discussion. We have been doing some of these, but I’d look forward to seeing more in the future. Thanks.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Talks are a great way to spread the word about the project so don't
hesitate to update the respective part of the website as soon as the talk
is announced.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <mg...@apache.org>.
I forgot mentioning that I strongly believe we need more technical design
documents for Calcite's major components such as the parser, validator and
code generation.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by XING JIN <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your work Francis and +1 for Stamatis to be the next PMC
chair ~ ~

Calcite is a great project and it offers as a strong SQL engine to help
users to build data systems.
My group uses Calcite to accelerate SQLs from multiple data engines by
heuristic based, cost based and materialization based optimization.
As a developer, I really benefit a lot from Calcite and the help from this
great community.

Calcite is not well known ? Yes, it might be less heard by the end users
(who focus on data analysis), but most of data engine developers (AFAIK)
know that Calcite is always a good choice when they
want to build a strong SQL engine for their data systems. This is the charm
of Calcite.

Finally, I agree with Muhammad Gelbana to strenghten documentation for
Calcite.

Best,
Jin

Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com> 于2019年10月24日周四
下午4:41写道:

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the state summarize Francis Chuang ! And thanks for the awesome work for keeping Calcite in good shape !

From my perspective, I really feel that Calcite is becoming more and more popular and there are many new groups trying to use this great project, as a reviewer, I saw many contributions from all kinds of people. And I feel very proud of that !

For the last year, I did many work to let Apache Flink and Calcite to have better integration, and I believe there would be more and more people to make contributions and make Calcite more pluggable and more suitable for production environments !

I also very enjoy the absolute harmony of the community, we are fire interesting discussions on the mailing list and we did have some valuable conclusion(like the Join expression rework, the trait sets propagation, the metadata etc.) And I felt very happy and respected to work with you guys in the community. Let’s keep the good communications and output more valuable design !

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.