Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Ludvík Michálek <ko...@bigfoot.cz> on 2022/09/07 11:16:05 UTC

NetBeans 14/15 not scanning for external changes on Mac

Hello,

I have issue with NB suddenly stopped seeing external changes to files. I am using this feature since NB 6/7 (or so) and it has been working well all the time.

Suddenly, it stopped working. I have suspicion that it is related to updating the JDK recently.

I am using the feature together with remote-upload feature of project, but it does not work even without remote upload.

Before, when I created a file or folder in Finder, NetBeans automatically refreshed and showed the changes in the Project/Files tree.

Now I have to run the "Scan for external changes" menu command all the time, which completely wastes my workflow, because I use external watchers (webpack or gulp) to build the project and then rely on NetBeans to upload the changes to remote server.

I have tried almost everything, googled whole day but found no solution, nothing helped:

creating another, clean project
reinstalling NB, updating from version 14 to 15
uninstalling and reinstalling JRE
uninstalling and reinstalling JDK
checking permissions
enabling Security>Accessibilty and Security>Full-disk access to NetBeans and java processes
re-enabling "Miscellaneous > Files > Enable auto-scanning of sources" option in Options
restarting NB
restarting Mac
.. everything above in different order, several times :(

My configuration:
================

- JDK version installed: jdk-18.0.2.1.jdk
- JRE version: build 1.8.0_341-b10
- OS: Mac OS 12.5.1 Monterey, Intel x64

Any idea, anyone?

Thanks for help,

Best,
--
Ludvík Michálek

Re: NetBeans 14/15 not scanning for external changes on Mac

Posted by Rtherman59 <rt...@gmail.com>.
I had same problem. Found that deleting the generated build files and cleaning out cache fixed it. Cache location is in the “about” box and generated files are the ones with date of last build. Maybe ver 15 fixes this.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ludvík Michálek <ko...@bigfoot.cz>.
> On 15. Sep 2022, at 3:52, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07.09.22 23:33, Ludvík Michálek wrote:
>> Update: I found the cause of the issue, finally (thanks Stan).
>>
>> 1) I've created a git repository where I saved "default" preferences created by fresh install of NB
>
> nice! i used to do that too for my whole etc folder once to debug OS issues.
>
>> 2) next, I overwrote those preferences with the backup of my previous preferences
>> 3) I compared the commits / made diff on the files and then went step-by-step and replaced/reverted the files
>>
>> Finally I found the single one that caused the problem:
>>
>> File:
>> /Library/Application Support/NetBeans/15/config/Preferences/org/netbeans/modules/masterfs/ui.properties
>>
>> This file contains single line:
>> org.netbeans.io.suspend=1
>>
>> I have changed the value from 1 to 0 and it works, while keeping all my previous preferences! So all my issues were just caused by this single boolean value. I don't understand which process and under which circumstances writes this value, but definitely the Scan for external changes was heavily affected by this, although the UI option seemed to be enabled.
>
> fyi: this property is set by the second button next to the memory graph in the tool bar ("Pause I/O Checks"). And it will indeed stop netbeans from listening to external file changes as long its enabled.

Interesting - I don't use the NB internal debugger for my projects, I must have run it accidentally, but I don't realize that I would click the Pause I/O button - maybe some accidental keyboard shortcut? Anyway, now I know how to fix it in the future :-) Thanks for this hint! :-)

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Giles Winstanley <st...@snaq.net>.
Excellent to know, so thanks for the diagnostics, Ludvík. Next time it
happens to me I'll try that line before anything else to see if it can
save the drama. I've resorted to exporting my core changes to an
external file in the hope they import smoothly if I start with a clean
state.

Stan

Posted by Ludvík Michálek <ko...@bigfoot.cz>.

Posted by Ludvík Michálek <ko...@bigfoot.cz>.