Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Julius.Stroffek" <Ju...@Sun.COM> on 2006/11/09 15:39:32 UTC

Re: Query regarding derby

Hi Sridharsingh,

Please describe more your running configuration. This kind of error may
occur if you are running different instances of derby to access a same
database.

Which version of derby are you running? Do you have more instances of
derby on the same machine? What exactly are you doing?

I have posted the reply to derby-user mailing list since I think it is
related more to the user issue.

Cheers

Julo

Re: Query regarding derby

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Julius.Stroffek wrote:
> Hi Sridharsingh,
>
> Please describe more your running configuration. This kind of error may
> occur if you are running different instances of derby to access a same
> database.
> Sridharsingh Inder wrote:
>
>> Hi Derby Team,
>>
>> We are using derby database in our application. While updating the
>> table, we are getting
>> "A lock could not be obtained within the time requested " this exception.
>>
>> My queries are as follows
>>
>> 1. Why I am getting this exception?
>> 2. What I should do to avoid this error?
>> 3. How the locking mechanism working in Derby Database?

This faq on lock timeout errors mentions some properties that might help
isolate the specific sql statement:

http://db.apache.org/derby/faq.html#debug_lock_timeout

 -jean

Re: Query regarding derby

Posted by Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oy...@Sun.COM>.
Sridharsingh Inder wrote:

> Hi Derby Team,
>
> In Apache Derby, to see the table structure which command can I use? (as
> in Oracle's desc <table name> )

In 10.2, you can do 'describe <table name>' in ij.  For earlier version,
  you can get a dump of the entire db schema with the dblook tool.

--
Øystein

Re: Query regarding derby

Posted by "John H. Embretsen" <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Sridharsingh Inder wrote:

> Hi Derby Team,
>
> In Apache Derby, to see the table structure which command can I use? (as
> in Oracle's desc <table name> )

Starting with Derby 10.2.1.6, the "describe <tableName>" command is
available in the IJ tool.

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tools/rtoolsijcomrefdescribe.html

--
John

Re: Query regarding derby

Posted by Jose de Castro <jo...@voxeo.com>.
You could use the dblook command. It is well documented in
derbytools.pdf in your installation's /docs /directory.

Query regarding derby

Re: Query regarding derby

Posted by "Julius.Stroffek" <Ju...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Sridharsingh,

Is it possible for you to upgrade to a newer version of Derby? I think
the version 10.0 is not supported by the community any more.

What request are you executing? I have not found it in any of 2 files
you have attached. Is it the first request after connecting to a
database or the problem appears after a while?

Cheers

Julo

Re: Query regarding derby