Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tom Cole <tc...@lamatek.com> on 2003/11/08 16:14:06 UTC

HiveMind & Tapestry

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to Tapestry (day 1)...

I have decided to use Tapestry to develop our new J2EE websuite for our
new website. After reviewing JSF (not ready for prime-time), Struts
(more cumbersome than it's worth), W4T (commercial, which in and of
itself isn't a problem, but...) and Tapestry, Tapestry seemed the best
fit. The Spindle plug-in for Eclipse helped too.

I found a reference to HiveMind today and don't understand exactly what
it is and what it means for the future of Tapestry. Can someone
elaborate for me. I just want to make sure I'm investing time in a
technology that will be there in a few years.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Tommy E. Cole, Jr.
General Manager & C.O.O.
Lamatek, Inc.
tcole@lamatek.com
http://www.lamatek.com

Re: HiveMind & Tapestry

Posted by "Kevin C. Dorff" <kd...@dorffweb.com>.
Geoff: Think of the following as a huge compliment: I just started using
Hibernate (hibernate.org) with my Tapestry apps and I really found
myself wishing you had a tool like Spindle for Hibernate.

Everybody: If you haven't checked out Hibernate, you should, it is
pretty cool, it assists with EASILY getting your data to and from the
database easily - has a learning curve especially when you start doing
one-to-many relationships mapped into your objects from the database,
but, it makes a beautiful addition to Tapestry apps. Leverages what you
learned in Tapestry to a degree (setup occurs in xml that leverages your
entity classes via JavaBeans methodology). I will have that "lines of
code" count down to almot zero soon ;)

Keep up the great Spindle work.
Thanks,
Kevin

Re: HiveMind & Tapestry

Re: HiveMind & Tapestry

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
Yes, I use Spindle and I like it a lot. Spindle has wizards to create projects, pages, components
and such. It has editors that are Tapestry friendly, provides content assist which is awesome and
also has outlines. Spindle is a development tool not a designer tool and so like you said it does
not provide any visual tools. I normally design my templates in Homesite and then use
Spindle/eclipse to Tapestrize the templates and other development. Geoff Longman is the author of
Spindle and he can provide more insight in plugin development, I suppose.

-Harish

RE: HiveMind & Tapestry

Re: HiveMind & Tapestry

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.