Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Gerdt <Dg...@bju.edu> on 2008/05/08 18:17:11 UTC

Measurement accuracy in PDF vs PCL

I'm curious as to the differences between how distances are measured between different output formats. I've been trying to get a sheet of address labels to align correctly and am noticing a vast difference between how they are rendered in a PDF vs how they appear in PCL.

I use a combination of Eclipse and the Orangevolt XSLT plugin to develop my style sheets and generate PDFs on a WinXP box because I can quickly see the results. Ultimately, the documents will be rendered on an AIX system, normally (though not always) as PCL. There are instances where the same document can be rendered in either of these two formats, and that's why these differences make me nervous.

In the case of the mailing labels, I'm noticing about a 1mm difference in height for the table cells. PDF cells are right at 26mm and PCL at 27mm. That sounds like a very slight difference, but it adds up to a 1cm difference over the ten rows of the sheet of labels. Also, the top margin has a difference of about 5mm between the two formats, with the first table row starting at 17mm in the PDF output and about 12mm for the PCL version.

Can anyone give any insight? Is this just a driver thing?

I am running the 0.95beta on both machines. The fo is attached if you're interested.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Measurement accuracy in PDF vs PCL

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 09.05.2008 15:34:14 David Gerdt wrote:
> Jeremias-
>
> Thanks for this thorough explanation. Very helpful. And I wasn't really
> thinking "bug". I assumed that there was something in the various specs
> (like the margin issue you mentioned with PCL) that was playing games
> with me. And thanks for the heads up about the settings in Acrobat. You
> were correct. I'm guessing there's no way to disable scaling/auto
> rotate/center within the PDF itself via FOP. That's certainly not a
> necessity, just curious.

I don't remember ever seeing anything about that in the PDF spec.
There's only "PrintArea" and "PrintClip" but that doesn't help here.

> Thanks again for all the work.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Measurement accuracy in PDF vs PCL

Posted by ~Clive <cl...@fnb.co.za>.
Hi Jeremias,

I have also run into the problem of trying to disable the scale settings in
Acrobat.  What I had to do was edit the registry key entries before I
printed:

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AVGeneral" /v
bprintExpandToFit /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\AVGeneral" /v
iprintScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f

These registry entries are only applicable to version 9.0.

I hope someone else has a cleaner solution...

Cheers,

Posted by David Gerdt <Dg...@bju.edu>.
Jeremias-

> [...]

> see the results. Ultimately, the documents will be rendered on an AIX
> system, normally (though not always) as PCL. There are instances where
> the same document can be rendered in either of these two formats, and
> that's why these differences make me nervous.
>
> In the case of the mailing labels, I'm noticing about a 1mm difference
> in height for the table cells. PDF cells are right at 26mm and PCL at
> 27mm. That sounds like a very slight difference, but it adds up to a
> 1cm difference over the ten rows of the sheet of labels. Also, the top
> margin has a difference of about 5mm between the two formats, with the
> first table row starting at 17mm in the PDF output and about 12mm for
> the PCL version.
>
> Can anyone give any insight? Is this just a driver thing?
>
> I am running the 0.95beta on both machines. The fo is attached if

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Measurement accuracy in PDF vs PCL

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
> [...]

> see the results. Ultimately, the documents will be rendered on an AIX
> system, normally (though not always) as PCL. There are instances where
> the same document can be rendered in either of these two formats, and
> that's why these differences make me nervous.
>
> In the case of the mailing labels, I'm noticing about a 1mm difference
> in height for the table cells. PDF cells are right at 26mm and PCL at
> 27mm. That sounds like a very slight difference, but it adds up to a
> 1cm difference over the ten rows of the sheet of labels. Also, the top
> margin has a difference of about 5mm between the two formats, with the
> first table row starting at 17mm in the PDF output and about 12mm for
> the PCL version.
>
> Can anyone give any insight? Is this just a driver thing?
>
> I am running the 0.95beta on both machines. The fo is attached if

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Measurement accuracy in PDF vs PCL

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
BTW, this was for fop-0.20.5... Things have improved for fop-0.93+...

Clay

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://ourlil.com/>

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Gerdt <Dg...@bju.edu>.
I've tried to think through the "fudge factor" for this particular application and unfortunately haven't found anything that works. I have a pretty narrow target to hit with each label and by the time the differences add up, correcting for one extreme (i.e. too high or too low) inevitably causes problems at the other end of the sheet.

As I said, I'm not sure that these particular labels will ever have cause to be printed from a PDF rendering, so I can develop the sheet for PCL and not worry about the problems at this point, but it does raise interesting questions in my mind about the reliability of the measurements we specify in general. How much confidence can we have that when we say Xmm, we will really be guaranteed Xmm?

Posted by Roland Neilands <rn...@pulsemining.com.au>.