Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Glen Eustace <ge...@godzone.net.nz> on 2001/05/17 11:09:06 UTC

Large number of java processes

I confess to being a complete newbie in the java world but have been
asked to support JSP on our web server so am trying hard to get an
Apache/Tomcat solution running.

My first attempt was using apache 1.3.12/mod_jk, jre1.2 and tomcat 3.2.
This combination only created a single java process when I started tomcat
but I couldn't run the sample JSP pages so having found that I was
missing the tools.jar, I upgraded to jdk1.3, now when I start tomcat I
get about 30 odd java processes. In our context, this is excessive and I
would like to know if I can tune the number back down.

Thanks.
Glen.
--
Glen Eustace,
GodZone Internet Services, a div. of AGRE Enterprises Ltd.,

Re: Large number of java processes

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
These are kernel threads not processes, so they're not as bad as you may
think. (I'm assuming you're running Linux...)

Check the tomcat users guide for info on setting the max_threads and other
parameters of the PoolTCPConnector classes.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/index.html

--jeff