Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2019/01/21 14:49:46 UTC

Extracting Subtitles from Video Files?

Hi all, thought I would toss out this inquiry…!  Has any one used Tika to extract subtitles from typical video files?   I’ve done some research, and it appears the common formats, .SRT, .SBV, .VTT, and even a plain text format all look like slightly different versions of the below (taken from a .SRT file:

00:00:01,160 --> 00:00:04,729
Welcome to the presentation
on basic addition.

They have a time range, and then then the corresponding text.   It seems like a great use case for Tika would be to handle various different types of embedded close captioning files, and emit them in the single standard structure.

Before I get too far down the path, thought I would see if anyone else has done this in the open source space!

Eric

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.

Re: Extracting Subtitles from Video Files?

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

If it’s something that FFMPEG extracted, I suggest checking out:

http://wiki.apache.org/tika/FFMPEGParser

If it’s something where you want to classify what’s going on in the video
using Tensorflow, see:

https://wiki.apache.org/tika/TikaAndVisionVideo

Hope they help.

Cheers,