Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tomliuwhite <to...@max-source.com> on 2006/07/05 04:47:01 UTC

my email box is getting bombarded with spam

I have SpamAssassin in my cpanel. I can edit it by
cpanel->mail->SpamAssassin. Recently i find my email box is getting
bombarded with spam. What shall i do? Many thanks in advance.
Sent from the SpamAssassin - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: my email box is getting bombarded with spam

Posted by tomliuwhite <to...@max-source.com>.
Thanks for your help. I will tell you my current configuration now. I go to
cpanel->mail->SpamAssassin, and i see: SpamAssassin is currently: enabled
Spam Box is currently: disabled, then i go to Configure SpamAssassin
(required to rewrite subjects), required_score 4, rewrite_header subject
**SPAM**_HITS_  And the other fields are empty.

Posted by "Richard E. Bewley, Jr." <rb...@parabolainc.com>.
tomliuwhite wrote:
> I have SpamAssassin in my cpanel. I can edit it by
> cpanel->mail->SpamAssassin. Recently i find my email box is getting
> bombarded with spam. What shall i do? Many thanks in advance.

You might consider adding some additional rules from
http://www.rulesemporium.com/ to quickly add some checks.  Are you using
Razor?  What about Bayes?  You might also consider configuring your MTA
to reject as many illegitimate emails outright if you've not already
done so.  Without knowing what kind of configuration you currently have,
it's hard to tell you why your configuration isn't being as thorough as
it could be.

--
Thanks!
Richard Bewley

www.parabolainc.com

RE: my email box is getting bombarded with spam

Posted by Greg Allen <sa...@floridacpu.com>.

I posted this to another user last month....

I don't know anything about the programming internals of Cpanel, but I do
have several Cpanel admin (website) accounts.

So, generally speaking...

Cpanel uses a very very basic implementation of SA.

It is best not to even use it IMO. It is nearly worthless. It does not have
most tests enabled that the full SA does, when setup correctly. It also does
not use bayes. What you see in Cpanel for SA is what you get.

Remember, with Cpanel you are sharing a SINGLE server with many other
websites in a shared hosting environment. That is why Cpanel has to set it
up so generic.

It would be best to put a real SA server in front of your Cpanel inbound
email server. Set it up the way you want it for your domain. The SA server
can be at a different location, and use Postfix transport map to send the SA
filtered email back to the Cpanel server for delivery. Disable Cpanel SA
implementation all together. (that is how I run it)